Thread: So, I kept score for the first time today....

Default So, I kept score for the first time today....

....and I shot -10 at Buffalo Trace. I kind of feel like they are quite generous on their pars, but then again I don't play much other than there and Severin Lang. I know that SL requires more distance on shots than I have in my arm and there's no way I'd be close to par there.

Anyway, I see people playing in the tournaments on here and wonder if a guy like me that can shoot -10 at Buffalo Trace could participate without looking like a total jerk, lol. I just started playing last year and I know that I'm not that good, but I wonder how far away I would be from the competition.

Yeah they are too generous on the course par at buffalo. I think par there is usually played as a 58. All par 3's and hole 19 a par 4. http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/16235 that's a tourney last year. The first rd was buffalo trace and the second was seviren Lang. So they will give u an idea of what scores each division shoots.

Okay, I think I shot a 76 today then, well off the par for the tourney. I knew those numbers on the signage there were inflated. Thanks for the link, though way to bring a brotha down, lol. Looks like I'd get smoked by everyone there. Oh well, progress is progress and someday I'll figure out how to get some distance on my drives and start dropping some shots off of my totals.
    Last edited by JustAnotherMike; 05-25-2014 at 09:22 PM.

There has been talk of adding an additional 8 holes out there. Hopefully if/when that's done we can put up new signs as well, and those would have more accurate pars.
    Don't be too discouraged to enter a tournament. There could be a novice division for guys who've just begun, and even if there isn't the player's pack you get is generally worth as much or more than what you paid to get in the tournament so you don't have to feel like you just threw money away. Besides, playing with other people in that kind of setting is one of the best ways to learn and improve.
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

It sounds like your ready ; but at which level should you spot yourself. I shot a 67 last year in Rec. Div at Buffalo and and ended up with a 70 at Severin Lang ; finishing 4th in the tourney.

I still need to figure out how to get more distance on my drives. My wife can drive as far as me sometimes. I lose power somewhere. I don't ever have to worry about driving beyond the basket from the tee. I've watched tons of videos, but can't figure it out yet. Could just be that I need repetition to build the right motion and power.

You need someone to look at your form and tell you what you're doing wrong. Practice does NOT make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. If you're practicing the wrong form you'll be hard pressed to iron it out on your own.

Video cameras are the best tool for self evaluation.
    Last edited by jeremy; 05-27-2014 at 02:19 PM.
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

Good suggestion Jeremy. I believe I may have some video. I've worn a little go pro type camera as my wife and I played, but that doesn't capture my form. Maybe I'll see of she'll wear it to record me.

Any time you would like to come by Dark Horse we have an indoor practice area with multiple camera angles and a few guys that would love to hang out for a little while and help you with your form and help any way we can. Young mike that works there is a putting machine and can drive well over 500. He is there 3 till 7 everyday but Wednesday and 9 to 5 on Saturday and Sunday. You can go in spur of the moment and je will help.Let me know if you would like to set up some private lessons with any of our sponsored pros and we can make it happen. Also Wednesday at Iroquois there are pro/am doubles where you are teamed up with a pro and that also is a great place to learn and have fun.

Thanks Woogs! I will have to look up your shop. Next week is a slower week in our business and maybe I can find a day to swing by. I'll bring what I throw so that I can learn with my discs. I may also be interested in lessons on occasion, assuming I can fit them in and drive from Indiana for them. Any idea what they cost?

Thread Information