Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A call to all Flyers

Some leagues use a handicapping format, like Lawrenceburg and Frankfort leagues. Has this ever been tried with the louisville leagues. Could that bring in more people if they felt like they could be competitive, despite their skill level. Maybe the newer players would have more fun instead of donating money for leagues to come in last.
    Last edited by Atvizory2000; 02-03-2014 at 08:32 PM.

I think the doubles format is what usually provides the less talented players an opportunity to win. As far as lack of communication, I do think there's been a lot less talk on this site in particular, but I don't know if that's lack of communication or if there really isn't much going on at this time about which to talk.
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

Quote Originally Posted by The_Shark View Post
    Also should the board positions be decided by less than 10% of it's members or do the thoughts of the other 90% count?

Marcus lots of new potential courses but is growth measured in number of courses or by the number of new flyers introduced to flying?

Lots of things happening but very little communication
    Growth may be measured in different ways, but this has been a terrible winter for growth if you're considering counting new players as one of the main ways of doing so. There may be die-hards who'll play in snow and bitter cold, but it's not really conducive for getting new people out to give the game a shot. We've kind of been at the mercy of Mother Nature since late November.
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

Great discussion guys! There are a lot of great things happening in Louisville disc golf this year. Even though there is a lot of room for improvement, there always will be.There were a bunch of announcements made about the elections on Fb, emails to over 500 people, and this site. We also made announcements at leagues and the fact that elections have been the same month and day for the past many of years it should have come as no surprise to anyone as to when the elections were. The 10% that showed up were the voice. Phil you did a great job with leagues and all your support last year but you quit the board and chose to not attend the meeting. We cant knock on everyone's doors and ask what they want, so we have meetings to make decisions. I would love to have 30 + people in attendance at a meeting because that would mean we have 30+ people who really really care. I love this game and everyone on the BOD feels the same. Please if anyone has any ideas, topics or wants to contribute please feel free to help out and come to meetings.

Atvizory would something like this draw you to leagues more?

Marcus i agree, this has not been a great winter, but then again what about socials, like we've done in the past.

I stepped down. But why? Good question.

To me being on the board was an honor and privilege, but 1 that also requires a certain time commitment. This is what came into question as my grandmother went into the hospital, then into rehab. Now that she's home she requires someone there most of the time as she gains her strength back.

Also I lost faith in the others on this board and it's direction which after biting my tongue for so long I could no more. To me this club, LDGC is so much more or can be, but isn't a club much more than just, tournaments and leagues? Or is there more?

What impact has disc golf had on you?
    Last edited by The_Shark; 02-05-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Anyone can make a positive difference in our disc golf community. Being on the board puts you in an even better position to enact change and make things happen. May I ask why you bit your tongue rather than speaking out?
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

I do play the leagues in the summer and they have helped me get better. But out of my 5 buddies who I play with on the weekends quite I bit, none of them want to play leagues when I play. Their #1 reason is "I'm not good enough to play leagues". I was just thinking of a different format that might attract players like that. I'm not sure if they would play even with a handicap format. Maybe they think they would embarrass themselves by their bad play. That was my reason for not going to leagues, but after I started I seen I was getting better, so I kept going.
    Last edited by Atvizory2000; 02-06-2014 at 09:12 AM.

LDGC Public Relations

My post about ctps and free league play are a great way to increase participation

I'll elaborate

League pay as is would be $5 (players would have option to forgo payouts and pay $0)

Ctps could be $5 (optional) (pick 5 holes and $1 goes to each)....20 guys show...Each ctp could be worth upwards of $20

In doubles this can be a great benefit to pros and top ams...If their partner is a newbie who is testing the league waters for free and the duo cash...the paying partner gets all the loot

I have seen leagues down here be wonderfully successful in and around atlanta

The ctps offer up multiple winners vs. the current best score payout (which tends to go to the same few guys everytime)....the option to play for free or just get in for ctps give a greater number of players of all skill levels to compete and cash

Thread Information