Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A call to all Flyers

Hybrid View

Default A call to all Flyers

The following is my view and thoughts on LDGC:

When I decided to join LDGC about 3 years ago I did so hoping to be a part of a group with the same love and passion for disc golf as I. While this at that time was true, I believe that somewhere some of those involved lost this, thus leading to where we are now. How many of you flyers out there have any idea of what is truly happening within LDGC? How many flyers within had a voice in the current selection to the leadership of LDGC? How many more of you truly wish to be a part in growing a child's game we love to play?

I am no way slamming anyone, as at the end of 2013 I was a part of this problem, not because I stopped caring but because of my grandmother in and out of the hospital, rehab, and her staying with my wife and I every few days. But I am asking that the Flyers of LDGC to take flight and unite. We all have a history and past, and don't always see eye to eye on everything, but a common ground has always been for the love of this game. I believe that for LDGC to continue to grow that the board as is must step down and that LDGC should hold elections for every spot so that those that would like to be more active can. I believe our wheels are spinning but we are stuck somewhere between neutral and reverse. Without this and the disc golf community still divided that we in Louisville will never see any new courses and no improvements.

I believe we have a chance to accomplish something very special. I believe that we have the chance to show those in this area that a group made up of people from all across town can work together instead of fighting. I believe in a child's game that can have far reaching impact than any of us could have imagined. I believe in the true love of a game.

I believe now is the time for all flyers in our area to unite and take flight!
    Last edited by Adam; 02-03-2014 at 11:08 AM.

I wasn't a part of the elections, but I do believe they took place. There were multiple announcements about the meeting at which the election was held. I suppose in the future maybe there could be a way for everyone to have a vote whether or not he/she is present at the meeting, but I don't think anything underhanded took place to put people in the elected positions they are in.

As for new courses, that has more to do with outside forces than the club itself, and there are efforts to get new courses in the area. While outside the metro area, the course at Taylorville Lake should be opening fairly soon. I know there have been multiple attempts to get a course in Tom Sawyer Park in Louisville, and it's certainly no fault of the club that it hasn't come to fruitition so far. Following the 8-hole expansion of Buffalo Trace (which is only waiting on the money to buy the baskets,) we may be in line to put in one or two more courses in Harrison County (Hayswood Park in Corydon which is a free park and South Harrison Park in Elizabeth next to Chariot Run Golf Course----both of which have the potential to be phenomenal courses considering the available land,) there were lots of talks about a course(s) in Charlestown---don't know where that stands (Roger? Dustin?)
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

Everyone who wants to step up and take an active part in disc golf (rather than just playing) is welcome and encouraged to do so. That's why the board is comprised of people who are doing things like running leagues and tournaments. The board has some number of new members right now in Woogs, Justin and Kris and we're figuring out roles and making plans to move forward. I'm sorry if it does not outwardly look that way, but it is kind of the off season. Tommy is doing a fantastic job as usual of getting his tournament together and it looks to be the biggest and best Louisville Classic to date.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

LDGC Public Relations

Wow the forum still works. I've seen some cool things here in Atlanta..seems like a good place to share.

What is the goal of membership?

Profit? Hopefully not

I will safely assume it is to branch out and grow disc golf interests, making connections and a thriving camaraderie

All things considered if you play dg in the greater louisville area and support the ldgc, we want you as a member

The key for membership is for those who want to be involved is that the club keeps them involved, members need to provide emails, phone numbers, twitter handle, etc..

Membership options

Premium: some cool ldgc swag and bag tag $20

Basic: bag tag $10?

Member: anyone who just plays a ldgc league/event...just get there name and contact info

The club can grow tremendously...the club needs more then just those who can make financial contributions

Everyone with a tag will be involved and will represent the ldgc at leagues and other events...all those guys who just play ldgc leagues are supporting the club, let them know how much we recognize that by taking note they are there

LDGC Public Relations

so I played a doubles the other day....it was $5... $3 went to first place, $1 ace pool, $1 club

then there was an optional $5 payout and an optional $5 for 5 ctps

so potentially $15 in all

every league I play here is random draw....no pro/am nonsense

I see good thought in the pro/am thing we do in the ville but I also see problems....some ams think of themselves as ams...whereas everyone should just be golfers...not all pros teach the am side as they play anyway...

payouts at many of these leagues I have played are focused around either a winners bonus or ctps and not just about cashing spots...most golfers are great about making that single perfect shot but a whole round is tough. ...ive really enjoyed this format and these leagues have had an incredibly diverse level of golfers attending

LDGC Public Relations

I have played some really cool league formats down here...everything is called action (not league)...anyway

singles...its free...or you can pay an optional $5 payout and $5 ctp (5 ctps on the course, $ is spread around)

What better way to grow the sport and the camaraderie between players then let new guys and girls play for free and see if they like the scene.

doubles are generally $10...heavier payout...optional $5 for extra action ($3 toward 3 ctps, $1 ace, $1 club)

ive seen extra $ go towards a first place bounty...first gets a bonus payout.
    Last edited by martin; 02-03-2014 at 06:50 PM.

LDGC Public Relations

Last thoughts and I'll let you all get back to your cold and snow.....keep up communication

Don't wait to let us club members know what's up...keep us in the loop...via the website, forum, bookface, the twitter, mass emails, texts, personal phone calls, more posters on the courses and more established course bulletin boards....the club can accomplish nothing...it's members are its heart and soul...louisville disc golf is on the cusp of doing amazing things...be the hub of information. ..be it ldgc, allstars, buffalo chips, mr Elbo....go throw some plastic (mostly prodigy)...good luck guys

Btw if you all ever think the louisville disc golf scene can be a tad crazy. ..atlanta is nuts...but there are so many people who all do so much...it's awesome

And I do agree with Martin in regards to revamping leagues to attract anyone that wants to participate on varying levels.

This is where more input is needed

Ideas? Thoughts?

Phillip Roberts

Offseason? There should never be 1 for those in leadership as there is things that can be done during this time. And what about those that don't play in leagues or tournaments?

Also should the board positions be decided by less than 10% of it's members or do the thoughts of the other 90% count?

Marcus lots of new potential courses but is growth measured in number of courses or by the number of new flyers introduced to flying?

Lots of things happening but very little communication

Thread Information