Thread: Hypothetical rules violation...or not?

Default Hypothetical rules violation...or not?

This just came to me last night and I thought I'd throw it out there to see what the actual application of the rule should be...say you're playing a hole that's a long dogleg. The rule states that you cannot move closer to the hole than your marker; however, if the stance has you throwing to reach the turn of the dogleg, theoretically couldn't you go "past" your marker and yet still not be closer to the basket, therefore making it a legal throw?
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

If there is a mando, then you play to the mando. After passing the mando, you play to the basket. So if your hypothetical hole does not have a mando, then you would be able to play the hole as you stated.

Even if the hole doesn't have a mando you still take a stance to move forward down the fairway, which is not necessarily in a direct line to the basket.

Take hole 2 at Seviren for example. Lets say you hit a tree and only make it half way to the landing zone on your drive. Your lie is in the middle of the fairway. The basket is ahead of you and to the right at roughly 2 o' clock when facing the landing zone. You stand behind the lie facing the landing zone, not on the back left of the lie facing the basket.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

I was actually thinking about the doglegs at Seviren.
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

That's interesting Adam. But what happens if you're going over the trees and your landing zone is suppose to be the basket. It's just hard to say what the landing zone is if not the basket. For example say hole 17 if you end up in the pine about 100 short of the basket and the only shot is backwards do I stand on the basket side. I've never played it this way but not sure what is the correct way.

You line up behind the line of play is my understanding. If there is no mando, landing zones don't matter as far as line of play to the basket. So after your tee shot, a supporting point has to be 30 centimeters directly behind your mark upon release in the line of play. In the example, your foot should be in the 8 oclock position if the basket is at 2 o clock. Not lining up down the fairway.
    Thanks to my sponsor

Landscaping and Pressure Washing

I agree with Billy's comment. According to the PDGA rulebook line 802.04.B

B. When the disc is released, a player must:
    1. Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the lie; and,
    2. Have no supporting point in contact with the marker disc or any object (including the playing surface) closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
    3. have all supporting points in-bounds.
    It only states that the player must have all supporting points behind the marker with no contact point closer to the target than the lie. According to the definitions in the rules, the target is defined as a "device whose purpose is to clearly determine completion of a hole,"or in other words, the basket.

Also, if a mandatory is in play, it is the target until passed according to line 804.02.F

F. The nearest mandatory which has not yet been passed is considered to be the target for all rules related to marking the lie, stance, obstacles, and relief, if the line of play does not pass to the correct side of that mandatory.
    In other words, if you do not have a straight line to the basket because of a mando, you line up with the mando as your target.
    Last edited by LtDan914; 12-05-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: additional mando info

Thread Information