Thread: If you're in the Indy area you MUST check out this course.

Default If you're in the Indy area you MUST check out this course.

Just played a course today that is definitely one of the best I've ever seen so far---in my top 5 for sure. It just opened this year in Carmel, just on the outskirts of Indianapolis. It's called Hazel Landing. Not much elevation change (not much up here does,) but pretty much everything else. One hole runs along a river about 370 to the pin; water the entire right side, fairway only about 25 or 30 feet wide the whole way, basket sits on a ridge only about 12 feet from a drop-off to the water. Several of the holes are wooded and the ones that are "open" have either a Buffalo Trace-like low ceiling or weedy rough on either side; none of the fairways are much more than 40' wide. A lot of it was reminiscent of a flatter, narrower Patoka Lake. Can't imagine it won't be one of the top-rated courses in Indiana when it's better discovered.
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

PD x3 | Teebird | FD x2| Leo | Shark3 | Buzz | Ryhno | Aviar

you should play Indian Springs it's 18 hole pay to play but cheap & with golf kart on a golf course. I really enjoyed it. It's in south Indy not to far off I-65
    http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1383
    PDGA # 50 7 25 currently rated 858

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    you should play Indian Springs it's 18 hole pay to play but cheap & with golf kart on a golf course. I really enjoyed it. It's in south Indy not to far off I-65
    http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1383
    I thought about it but I wasn't sure if it was just an Old English-type mile long-wide open course. The week after next I'll be on the west side of Indy--I may have to travel a little farther to find some courses but I have Northwestway (pretty sure someone told me this one was expanded to 18 with the 2nd nine in the woods not long ago,) Avon Town Hall, and a couple of other potentials on my list.

Indian Springs is open but not as long of holes as English. i played it when i 1st started playing disc golf. 2 holes was long for me 1 on the front 9 is like 999 feet & then the one over the to me back then was a beast ( refused to play it ) i think now i could play the lake hole.

it's a 18 hole course BUT with right & left PINs & different tees so you could play a shight ton of holes when you mix them up. I really enjoyed it.

baskets are very old & unlike any others i have ever seen.
    PDGA # 50 7 25 currently rated 858

LDGC Public Relations

Indian springs is fun..the golf carts are a big plus

Northwest is 18
    avon is a good course
    blue heron and a few of the 9 holers at the churches are worth the trip

Indian Spring is pretty freaking awesome, go check it out, it's not that far away.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

The week I played Hazel Landing I also played The Hill in Carmel, (also pretty new--not even tee pads on most holes) which was pretty simple. I wish I'd have gone to Dillon instead but I couldn't remember which was which,) Washington and Brookside in Indianapolis. Brookside is the longer of the two but has some goofiness to it, including what is somewhere around a quarter-mile walk or more from one hole to another. I preferred Washington just for the layout.
    This week I played Northwestway, Avon Town Hall, and Longley in Lebanon. Northwestway has a few cool holes but a lot of it is just wide open. Avon is pretty wide open and basic until you get to about hole 9, then it's not bad when you get in the woods (but there are a couple of really short holes---several under 200' if that bothers you. If you want to play a course that has holes that short go to Frankfort, KY and play East Frankfort; it's a lot more challenging than Avon.) Longley is the best of this bunch. It's about 15 miles NW of Indy, but it's worth the drive if you're in the area and you want to play. It's not as good as Hazel by any stretch, but pretty damn good.
    Every course we have down here in Louisville/Southern Indiana is better than any of the courses in Indianapolis as far as I'm concerned (this is excluding Hazel Landing the courses outside of Indy itself.)

LDGC Public Relations

I played like 10 courses one day up there

check out mt gilead and blue heron

the 9 hole masters at calvary baptist was a great layout

LDGC Public Relations

Youre right marcus the few courses we have around so indiana and louisville are top notch when compared to many of the courses out there...quality over quantity

I played the hippodrome-old glory course tonight (3 courses in the complex)
    if you like unusual basket placements this course is it...multiple hanging baskets, sunken, raised...baskets on the waters edge, on tops of little hills...crazy but fun

Sat and sun the first pdga directors cup tourney at the idgc...im siked playing steady ed and jim warner...then gonna squeeze in jackson before I head home

Any questions you ever wanted to ask the pdga? Let me know...

Thread Information