Thread: Cheapest way to get a few ok discs together for a beginnerr? EBay?

Default Cheapest way to get a few ok discs together for a beginnerr? EBay?

Hello all,
    While camping at Buffalo Trace I got the interest in trying disc golf. A single trip to Dick's Sporting Goods and sixty dollars spent got me 3 new Innova discs (all easy throwers by their charts)
    While driving to Buffalo Trace to camp, and try my new discs, my disabled son decided that the most expensive one needed to go out the window of the van... he kept this a secret for a while till it was too late to know where it went. it still had the price tag on it... sniff...

Is ebay one of the better ways to get used discs at a low cost?
    Edit... I just ordered a lot of 20 used disks from ebay...
    Last edited by AverageNiceGuy; 06-23-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    I bought 3 new Innova discs to get started, my son threw one out the window on the way to the course within 30 minutes of purchase, is this a record? Its surviving siblings are Innova RoadRunner and Innova StarMako.

Since you're in Sellersburg, you could go to the Meijer on Charlestown Rd in New Albany, and they have discs around $9.99 each. I think some might be $14.99, but most were basically ten bucks. On eBay you'll find some decent deals I guess, but it seems to me that the shipping kind of often makes it not worthwhile unless you're going for a high end disc, which if you're new like me is kind of worthless because it may get lost in the woods somewhere. Or you might find a huge lot of discs which can get you a good deal if you want to buy high volume at a lower cost per disc. If you just want to buy a few discs to get started, I like Meijer and I've bought at Play It Again Sports before too. Also, if you watch sites like Craigslist, you might find someone selling some, though I haven't seen any for quite some time. I bought a big lot of discs from a local guy that had to give up the game for physical reasons and got a great deal.

Oh, and people here often say that you can go to leagues and find guys willing to part with some discs at a good price.

Lol at your sig, that's funny, and kinda sad. I've lost plenty myself though, and it didn't take long.
    Last edited by JustAnotherMike; 06-23-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Play It Again Sports, which Mike mentioned, has used discs which you can get much cheaper than new ones. Don't make the mistake I made when I started and assume used ones have been sold because they've lost their ability to fly as well as new ones. Dick's used to have starter kits with three prepackaged discs for about $25 (driver, midrange, putter,) and I still carry the mid & driver from mine I got 7 years ago.
    It's kind of a long haul from Sellersburg, but if you have a cause to be in the Brandenburg area go to Rivertown Spirits, which is a liquor store owned by a disc golfer who has the biggest selection of discs you'll find anywhere in this area. Good prices, too.
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

Thanks for the information and replies guys.
    I think I'm about to pull the trigger on a lot of 20 discs on eBay for a hundred twenty dollars with shipping included
    I've just discovered that both my wife and my son like to throw discs so I'm gonna need a bunch of them!
    At a cost of $6 each, I won't cry as much of another one goes out the window!
    I am thinking that it would be pretty cool to go to an open field somewhere and see the flight characteristics of one after the other.
    I bought 3 new Innova discs to get started, my son threw one out the window on the way to the course within 30 minutes of purchase, is this a record? Its surviving siblings are Innova RoadRunner and Innova StarMako.

I'm pretty new to the game as well. So, welcome to the forum and the game. It is fun, and as you find your form and technique getting better you'll find that the discs may behave differently. I went yesterday and played with a guy here that blew me away with his ability, but that's his 3 years of experience versus my 2 months or so. Going out in fields and throwing and getting a feel for what disc does what for you is a great idea. In fact, it was recommended to me yesterday by the guy that I played Vettiner with yesterday. He recommeneded lots of "field work", and although I've done some I need a lot more.

My wife and I play together too, and it is interesting sometimes just to see the difference in the flight path between the way she throws it and I do. The angle of release, the speed of your arm, the firmness of the grip, the amount of body motion behind the throw, all can impact them. I have a problem with throwing mine high and losing distance to height, but I'm working on it, and field work can really help. I just need to get out more regularly and do it.

My wife and I have been having a lot of fun playing these past two months. Hopefully you guys do too!

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherMike View Post
    I'm pretty new to the game as well. So, welcome to the forum and the game. It is fun, and as you find your form and technique getting better you'll find that the discs may behave differently. I went yesterday and played with a guy here that blew me away with his ability, but that's his 3 years of experience versus my 2 months or so. Going out in fields and throwing and getting a feel for what disc does what for you is a great idea. In fact, it was recommended to me yesterday by the guy that I played Vettiner with yesterday. He recommeneded lots of "field work", and although I've done some I need a lot more.

My wife and I play together too, and it is interesting sometimes just to see the difference in the flight path between the way she throws it and I do. The angle of release, the speed of your arm, the firmness of the grip, the amount of body motion behind the throw, all can impact them. I have a problem with throwing mine high and losing distance to height, but I'm working on it, and field work can really help. I just need to get out more regularly and do it.
    My wife and I have been having a lot of fun playing these past two months. Hopefully you guys do too!
    I am currently only two days into the sport is turning out to be fun, and a fun family activity.
    YouTube instructional videos are doing a lot to help me get started.

From 2 to 22 in just a few clicks. I love technology.
    While sitting at a campsite at Buffalo Trace campground I just ordered a lot of 20 used discs from ebay. I hope I did not do too bad on this selection.
    At a price of about $6 per disc, I won't cry as much if I lose one.

this is what is in the lot that I just ordered

1. DGA Proline Aftershock (2012 SSP Open) 168g/White 8.5/10 No ink, in excellent shape overall

2.*Innova Champion Boss* 172g/Blue 9/10 No ink,*in near mint shape overall

3.*Innova DX Beast* 170g/Red 6.5/10 No ink

4.*Discraft Elite Pro Cyclone (1991 Nat'l Doubles)* 176g/Dyed 6.5/10 Light ink

5. Innova Star Destroyer 175g/Light Blue 6.5/10 Heavy ink, but rim is in very good shape overall

6.*Discraft ESP Flash* 172g/Purple 7.5/10 Minor ink

7. Innova Champion Groove 167g/Orange 7/10 Minor ink

8. Innova Star Max 175g/Yellow 6/10 Some ink

9. Discraft ESP Nuke (Factory Second) 174g/Orange 7.5/10 Some ink, in*excellent shape overall

10. Latitude 64 Test Material River 169g/Pink 5/10 No ink

11. Innova DX Roc (WB) 172g/White 6/10 Some ink

12.*Innova Champion Sidewinder 172g/Yellow 7.5/10 *Minor ink, in very good shape overall13. Innova*Pro Starfire (SL) 172g/White 6/10 Some ink, a few stains

14. Innova DX Teebird 168g/White 4.5/10 No ink

15. Innova Star TeeRex 175g/Yellow 6/10 Some ink, in good shape overall16. Innova DX Viking 172g/Red 4.5/10* Light ink

17. Innova DX Viper (1996 Nat'l Doubles)* 179g/Red 8.5/10 No ink, in very good shape overall

18. Discraft Elite X Wildcat (2003 CCC) 169g/Blue 5.5/10 No ink19. Innova Star Wraith 172g/Yellow 6.5/10 Heavy ink, in good shape overall

20. Discraft Elite Z XS 170g/Orange 7/10 Some ink

Looks like a good buy to me. I've got some of the discs that you picked up and like them. The more experienced guys can give more info than I can though. Pretty cool to be camping and be able to buy a bunch of discs. Have fun!

Looks like a pretty good buy. Some of those discs won't be very useful at first when you're still learning. But later down the line when you've got more power in your throw they'll be good.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Looks like a pretty good buy. Some of those discs won't be very useful at first when you're still learning. But later down the line when you've got more power in your throw they'll be good.
    Thanks Adam, I received them yesterday.
    I'll be able to learn first hand what you are referring to as soon as I can get to a field...
    Having this many discs is like having a high capacity magazine for a gun!

Update: Went THROWIN' This morning in an open field... whew, throwing 22 discs back to back, over and over, is fun but tiring.

I am able to notice some of the differences in disc behavior. Mostly in stability left vs. right vs. straight.
    I think because my current technique is only sending the discs 150-170 ft, I'm not seeing huge differences in flight distance.
    It is very fun to throw one after another while working on form. I'm glad I got this batch at a disc cost of ~$6 each.
    Last edited by AverageNiceGuy; 06-28-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Thread Information