Thread: New Here, and New To The Sport

Hybrid View

Default New Here, and New To The Sport

My wife and I started playing disc golf a few years ago, played a few times at Seviren Lang and Buffalo Trace, and then had to hang it up for some bigger life related reasons. We got past all of the life stuff, and now we've started playing again. We drive up to Seviren Lang once a week if possible (we live in Clarksville) to play, and I've been told by others that isn't the greatest course for beginners. We've lost a good number of discs, lol. All inked with our name and number, but we lost them good enough that nobody ever found them, or just nobody called.

Anyway, we started out learning on drivers, and then I recently read that we should probably start on mids to get our form down and a feel for the game with discs that might be more forgiving. We went out there Sunday and just used mids and although we got drenched in the rain, we did have noticeably more control. Still not much distance, but we didn't have much of that with our drivers either, in fact, maybe less.

So, my question is how long did it take you to get comfortable enough playing that you could control your discs and not fly off into the deep woods somewhere? I'm sure that even the best players have an errant throw here and there, but it gets frustrating trying to find discs in the woods or thorns all the time. We've played each Sunday for the past 4 or 5, and I don't expect to be great right out of the box, and we noticed improvement with control with the mids, but how long did it take you guys to get your form down and feel comfortable with your drives? Did you go practice for hours and hours in open fields? I've watched a ton of videos, and some leave me more confused than others, but ultimately I know the x-step and have trouble maintaining good form, as it is unlike the form in other sports I've played.

Just thought I'd say Hi and see what the learning curve on this game is for others.

I've been playing about a year and a half and I've gotten a lot better. I've knocked about 10 strokes off my score from when I first started, usually playing 3 rounds a week. My control is a lot better but depending on the day I can be hunting in the woods every other throw. But when you throw an awesome round and almost every shot is where u want it to go, that just makes u want to keep playing and practicing more. It's an addicting game!

I hope you and your wife will consider joining the Louisville Disc Golf Club. We have a strong organization with about 80 some odd members. I guarantee, your game will improve by becoming an active member and attending our league play and interacting with our members.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    I hope you and your wife will consider joining the Louisville Disc Golf Club. We have a strong organization with about 80 some odd members. I guarantee, your game will improve by becoming an active member and attending our league play and interacting with our members.
    Yep, we'll consider it. I've been looking through the thread on here about membership already. I'd like to make sure this is something we're going to stick with, and we're kind of loners (not to mention we have our own businesses and work a lot), but we might break out and get to know some people through the sport. Right now just getting acquainted with the game and the forum, and then we'll see where it goes. I just made it sound like some sort of weird disc golf dating experience, oh well.

Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

Hi Mike, videos online are helpful, but I think having someone to show you can be even more helpful. I live in New Albany and would be happy to meet with you and your wife to give you some tips if you'd like.

I will say of all the videos showing you how to throw, this one with Jeremy and Dave is very good. They really break down a lot of the little things and show you about keeping the disc flat, turning your shoulders and hips, etc. Maybe it will help a little.

Thanks for the kind offer, Adam, we may take you up on it. And thanks for the videos too. I've seen those before somewhere. I kind of get what I'm supposed to do, but we've talked about taking video of one another throwing discs to be able to see where we're going wrong in comparison. Mostly I think my issue is not throwing and releasing flat. I get a lot of height on my drives, and not much distance. Just got to get my head and my body to cooperate through the process of driving.

LDGC Public Relations

Work with slower and less stable discs...easier to control and they are far more forgiving then most drivers on the market

Since there are two of you, you can watch each other throw and you can tell the other if they're keeping the disc flat from pull back to release or have other form flaws. I know it can seem really difficult at first, but once you get the hang of it and get the muscle memory it gets easier.

When I was first learning and I threw a good drive it felt different than the other drives I threw that were not well executed. So when I had a good drive I'd try to remember how everything felt and try to duplicate it.

Thread Information