Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Players pack + trophy only Rec?

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Trophy only for novice/rec...maybe intermediate...on the fence for adv

Giving ams a reason to start moving up is important as our sport continues to grow guys who have been playing a for more then a year or two need to be moving out of rec to open up competitive spots for new players
    I partly agree with you, but being an advanced player, I'll give you my reason why I do not believe it should happen for advanced. By playing in advanced, you are playing in the top am division which means for some that they could probably play open, but just would not often be in the running to cash. Players in the advanced level are a little more competitive, and, at least me personally, when I am competing, I want more back than just what it cost me to get in. I would rather it be like pros for advanced and not get a players pack to actually compete for a payout that is much better than the entry fee. If I don't play well enough to cash, and I don't receive anything at all then that is on me. I need to work harder to do better next time. Disc golf is one of the only sports to just give people stuff for just paying to play. In most other sports, if you don't do well enough to place, you walk away with nothing. I'm not at all saying this is the best way for rec or intermediate. There should probably still be a players pack for them, but I don't think many advanced players would argue against a bigger payout in lieu of a players pack (as with anything though, there are always some who will gripe).

That being said, a trophy in addition to other stuff that still equals out to the same payout would be awesome. I like the tournaments I have won that have given out a trophy. It gives you something to show others who come visit your house or whatever.
    "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

I agree Justin. With a lot of other sports you pay money just to play and win nothing but a trophy.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

Just to clarify, I'm against trophy only for advanced. I was just saying that a trophy in addition to payout would be awesome. The cost of the trophy just factors into the cost of the payout.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Trophy only for novice/rec...maybe intermediate...on the fence for adv

Giving ams a reason to start moving up is important as our sport continues to grow guys who have been playing a for more then a year or two need to be moving out of rec to open up competitive spots for new players
    The only way that provides an incentive to move up is if the player feels he has a chance to place. If you're barely lucky enough to place in rec then you realize you're probably going to get crushed if you move up, whether there are better prizes or not. I could move up to pro because I know there's a chance to win a lot of money but I also realistically know, unless all my competitors are swarmed by killer bees I have no chance.

The incentive to move up is the larger number of discs available.

Maybe there could be a time-frame placed on playing rec--say you have to move up to intermediate within 2,3, or 4 years of your first tournament; even still, there are a ton of guys who've been playing rec for years who still never manage to place because they don't have the skill-level to do so.
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

If all rec was done as trophy only, but increased player packs, then the person who finished dead last will receive the same value of merchandise as the person who finishes first minus a trophy. Not getting anything significantly more than that would encourage those competitors who are often finishing near the top to step up to the next division, which would then open up competitive spots for other players in rec who have been near the middle or bottom. I think that would make sense.

Id rather play for a monetary return instead of plastic. I can buy a disc if I need one with the money I might win

8)

Im not complaining about the players pack, its cool.

I dont get to play often enough to advance my skill level and probably would never win a tourney anyway so it dont much matter.

Buffalo Chip

I've played for five years and never do well enough to place besides my first tournament 10th out of 50 rec players. I moved "up" to advanced masters just due to the company, I agree if I need the discs I'll just buy exactly what I want so plastic has never been that great an incentive. Justin also has a valid point so I'm on the fence, I should be playing rec according to my rating, I don't feel like a rec player but no where in the near future would I play open just to give my money away. Trophys are cool plastic is cool I just play because of the people. I go for the fun and have made so many good friends I can't value that in either trophy's nor plastic.

I agree shawn. In the end it's all about having a good time, but pushing your self is always a good thing too.
    Thanks to my sponsor

Landscaping and Pressure Washing

Thread Information