Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Players pack + trophy only Rec?

Hybrid View

Default Players pack + trophy only Rec?

I was reading that Dynamic Discs is running all their tournament where the Rec division gets their money back in players pack and then basically plays trophy only.

The recreational division was converted to trophy only for the 2012 season and remains that way for 2013. These recreational players usually pay around $35 and receive a players package worth well over that and often compete for additional prizes.
    I see how this could turn off some Rec players who are very competitive, but on the other hand if you're that competitive it won't be long until you move up. I think it could be good giving Rec players their money back in discs so they always get something for playing and never lose anything, however they don't really have the opportunity to win more than what they put in either.

It's an interesting discussion, what are your thoughts about it?

Here's the full article about it. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=83752
    Last edited by Adam; 03-21-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

I being a rec like getting discs but most the time it's a Roc or a DS & you only can win so many of them before your sick of them. Be good if we could win something like the Tern or some new plastic that might better our game. Hell i'm down with getting back $30.oo
    PDGA # 50 7 25 currently rated 858

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    I being a rec like getting discs but most the time it's a Roc or a DS & you only can win so many of them before your sick of them. Be good if we could win something like the Tern or some new plastic that might better our game. Hell i'm down with getting back $30.oo
    You should have played the Louisville Classic. I came home with a brand new, shiny Tern.

Buffalo Chip

I like the trophy deal shows pride and accomplishment where new plastic becomes old and possibly even lost or traded. Its hard to lose a trophy

Trophy only all the way.
    At the Louisville Classic, I didn't care about any stack of plastic or even a basket. I wanted that trophy!

I think it's time the amateur side of disc golf get away from payouts.

Sorry i was already committed to a car show for months before the classic even was a thought.

Good thing is i already have a 1st run Tern in my bag. But yeah anything other then rocs & ds

Trophies sound cool but take time to get & cost more when preparing for a tournament
    PDGA # 50 7 25 currently rated 858

DX Rocs and the like are usually given away as players packs for smaller events. For something like what DD is describing, the players are probably getting 3 non-dx discs (one DX at most) for $35, and yeah newer stuff.

Personally, I'm not sure what I think about doing it for all Am divisions. But since the Rec division is often for new players just getting their feet wet with disc golf and/or competition, it seems appropriate. Not saying we're going to start doing that, but it is a compelling idea.

Thats why me being AM/REC only done a few tournaments, a lot of work for no reward

Quote Originally Posted by swasafix View Post
    Thats why me being AM/REC only done a few tournaments, a lot of work for no reward
    So are you saying you'd be more interested in tournaments if the Rec division got their money back in the players pack and played for trophies?

LDGC Public Relations

Trophy only for novice/rec...maybe intermediate...on the fence for adv

Giving ams a reason to start moving up is important as our sport continues to grow guys who have been playing a for more then a year or two need to be moving out of rec to open up competitive spots for new players

Thread Information