Thread: CV Master Plan (Phase 1) to start by February 1 and due to be completed by June 1

Hybrid View

Default CV Master Plan (Phase 1) to start by February 1 and due to be completed by June 1

For those of you not on Louisville Metro Parks mailing list, here is some exciting news about the revitalization of Charlie Vettiner Park. Thanks to the tireless work of LDGC, disc golf course parking is first on the list for improvements! Make special note of where to park during construction.

Charlie Vettiner Park Master Plan–Phase One Construction to Start By February 1
    Work addresses priority issues developed by park users during planning process
    LOUISVILLE, Ky. (January 24, 2013) – Construction is scheduled to begin by February 1 on the first phase of work outlined in the Charlie Vettiner Park Master Plan, finalized last year through a public planning process. The $690,000 phase one project includes a new walkway, new parking spaces, speed humps, and drainage improvements.

The project scope includes improvements along Charlie Vettiner Park Road, including 34 curbed parallel parking spaces, a wooden rail to prevent off-road driving and parking, and speed humps to reduce driving speed through the park. A concrete walk will also be constructed, extending from the Easum Road entry, approximately 1,500 feet into the park to connect to the walking loop.

Stone headwalls will be added at culverts under the roadway to stabilize and help protect the road bed from erosion. The culvert inlets and outlets will be cleared and excavated where needed to improve drainage under the road. Plunge pools and step pools will be added to the two largest stream channels to slow the runoff and reduce erosion.

Additional parking areas are planned at the lake overlook and along the disc golf loop which will be repaved. The new parking areas will be constructed of permeable asphalt and grass cell paving. The disc golf area will have 33 parking spaces; the lake overlook area will have 17 parking spaces.

The project was designed by Environs Inc., Landscape Architects. The project contractor is Advanced Paving. The project budget is provided by the Louisville Metro Capital Construction Fund. Work is due to be completed by June 1. Louisville Metro Parks is the managing agency.

The park is located in Louisville Metro District 20, represented by Councilman Stuart Benson.

“Charlie Vettiner Park is one of our community’s great assets,” said Benson. “I am proud to have the support of neighboring Councilmembers Kevin Kramer (District 11), Robin Engel (District 22) and our Metro Council colleagues as we have worked, since 2006, to secure $215,000 in Council Infrastructure Funds and $460,000 in added General Funds for Phase I of park improvements.”

The park will remain open during the construction period. The disc golf loop will be closed during construction. Disc golfers may park in the hilltop parking area or on the pavement along Charlie Vettiner Park Road.

Do they have a future view of what the upgrades will look like when done ?
    PDGA # 50 7 25 currently rated 858

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    Do they have a future view of what the upgrades will look like when done ?
    Here is the .gov link to the final Master Plan (Warning it is a large PDF file and will take a while to open regardless of your bandwidth). For the record, I fought for Alternative E (the original "final draft" with a road all the way around the circumference of the unused portion of the park) but our neighbors with that nice field as their back yard were having none of it and they brought the Track and Field team for the sympathy vote.

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/NR/rdonl...rPlanFINAL.pdf

I like the changes it looks like they're going to make relating to disc golf. New paved circle with additional parking, a new shelter with a restroom facility, and additional parking right across from the traditional loop. Sounds good to me.
    "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

Yeah i found that right after i asked. Man that's going to be nice for the disc golf course. The restrooms / shelter YIPPY. maintenance moving up top by the west entrance. All looks like great upgrades.

As for parking for the course while construction is going on i'm not a fan. They want us to park all the way up top or even farther Charlie Vettiner Park drive which is right entering the west park entrance.

I will most likely cancel the rest of winter leagues for C.V. & go to a different course for those dates
    PDGA # 50 7 25 currently rated 858

Thread Information