Thread: Reflecting on Ellena Gallusser (Share Your Memories)

Default Reflecting on Ellena Gallusser (Share Your Memories)

Julie and I were setting around last night, after we received word of Ellena’s passing, and were reflecting on some times we shared with her. I would like this thread to be used for that. If you have a moment you shared with Ellena, or even just something you admired about her from a distance, that you would like to share with us and the Gallusser family please post it here. After a couple weeks I’ll compile the stories and post them on Eric’s Facebook page so he can share them with his family if he would like.

Ellena was an encourager and loved to be involved. When I was dabbling in disc golf apparel (Throw Disc Golf Gear) I started a team. Team Throw. Ellena was the honorary “Team Throw Mom”. I’m not really sure but I think she gave herself that title, which is fine because it fit her.

She was constantly encouraging and positive to everyone she spoke to on and off the course. I’m not sure that I ever saw her without a smile on her face. One particular moment I remember she was an encouragement to me was on the way back from the Lexington Open about two years ago. Disc golf burnout was really starting to set in for me and I was feeling pretty down and deflated about my involvement in the sport. On the way home Ellena invited Julie and I to stop and have diner at a restaurant with her and Keith (I think it was Keith anyway). We just talked and cut up and had some good conversations. I still remember a bit of what we talked about. As our meal wrapped, the bill came and Ellena snatched it from the table and demanded to pay it. She told Julie and I how much she appreciated everything that we had done for the sport and, specifically Keith and Eric. She said she just wanted to take the time to talk with us and give us this little blessing. Her gesture meant the world to us and encouraged us to stick around at least a little while longer.

The world needs more people like Ellena Gallusser. That infectious smile and laugh and constant positive, outgoing attitude made an impact on me. Julie and I miss her dearly.
    Last edited by jeremy; 08-06-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

Excellent thread Jeremy. I don't have any one specific story about Ellena, only that she was a very cool mom who obviously knew how to raise boys the right way. I have always enjoyed playing with the Gallusser's because they make me laugh and feel young. You are certainly correct when you say the world needs more Ellena's. I wish only God's Blessings for her and the Gallusser family.

Buffalo Chip

I didn't know Ellena very well but feel blessed that I did have an opportunity to play doubles with her and Eric last year before the Buffalo Trace Open,maybe even the year before, but all I could think was "this lady is good and how cool would it be to have your mom involved in a sport you love like she was involved and good at it as well. She seemed very positive and was very encouraging to me just like she knew me like I had played for a long time. I always made it a point to say hi to her whenever I saw her out on a course. I think Eric and Keith are good people and it's not hard to figure out where that originated from. Rest in Peace

It's very hard to pick any one moment in time I was just glad to have met Ellena and missed her being on the courses when she got sick and now the finality of it never to see her at or on the courses is without words. She is and will be missed dearly.

I am so sorry for your loss. Ellena was always a positive influence everytime I was around her. The one story I would like to share was back during the early days of the buffalo trace open there weren't many people coming out. This was probably 2007 and Larry Cave was running the show. I think we had 21 players that year and my buddy Scott French overheard Ellena scolding Eric and Kieth about stepping up and playing pro because there was only one other pro playing. I think it was Eddie Whalen. Anyway, they cleaned up at the end of the day. Scott and I always enjoyed that memory.

Thanks for the memories.
    “Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value.”

Albert Einstein

It's hard to really get to know people that you meet through hobby or special interest groups
    such as disc golf. I do know that Ellena was one great mother. Keith and Eric had both worked
    at my store years ago. Ellena always thanked me for giving them an opportunity for work. Her
    love for Eric and Keith was so obvious. I think she also loved the game of disc golf much more than
    she probably ever thought she would. She got into it to be close to Keith and Eric and then got
    "the bug" She played in almost every local and semi local event for years.

She really was an inspiration. I can only hope to engage my children with something they love like
    Ellena did with her boys. The world does need more people like Ellena.

Rest in peace Ellena. I hope you finally get that ace in heaven! You lived a purposeful life.

Thread Information