Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some rules suck

Quote Originally Posted by Will Burke View Post
    I know at the Fall Open last year I had a drop in on hole 1 and set it in the basket and it fell straight thru. We asked Jeremy after the round and said it counted. This wasn't the first time I witnessed a disc falling through there. I guess them holes there like something bigger than my 8.5 inch disc.
    I remember that. Just for clarification, Jeremy made an exception to the rule and decided it should count because the baskets were designed for larger diameter discs so there are gaps in the baskets that a disc can easily fall through.

When rule exemptions are made like this the tournament should be an
    XC event.

Sounds to me like these baskets need to be fixed. One foot putts falling through
    the bottom of the basket is kind of silly. I know we all putt poorly sometimes but
    I make all my one footers.
    Last edited by captain plastic; 06-21-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Not Will!!!

A simple solution to the problem would be adding a metal hoop around the basket near the bottom of the tray. This keeps putts from falling out and going in through the side. This would not change the catching abilities which can be a positive or negative depending on how you look at it.

I played two rounds there this morning and had no issues. Those baskets catch great!

LDGC Public Relations

I think the baskets catch great as well. When they were reinstalled all of the baskets looked to be in the best shape they had ever been in. Whatever was sprayed or painted on the chains seemed to catch the discs quite well.

My favorite part of the rules is players always like to pick which rules to follow and which not to. Kinda like life. Surprised nobody has asked mick if he marked his lie with a mini under the basket before dropping his disc back in the basket for the two. Unless its a pdga official event why do we let some rules slide but others not... Thankfully that's why there is a td or league director to make the call. Even the pdga rated leagues have made exceptions for some rules.

Otter is a course with outdated baskets, and shouldn't have to be tied to 100% of the current rules. Like the captain said, due to these circumstances a pdga event on this course should always be run as an X-tier. It's not the only course in the country like this. Iroquois has different baskets from one hole to the next. Buffalo has baskets like nowhere else. Tournies that use a variety of temp baskets. Not every rule needs to apply 100% of the time. My opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by captain plastic View Post
    When rule exemptions are made like this the tournament should be an
    XC event.

Sounds to me like these baskets need to be fixed. One foot putts falling through
    the bottom of the basket is kind of silly. I know we all putt poorly sometimes but
    I make all my one footers.
    If the disc falls through the basket (e.g. Will's aforementioned putt)there is no need for an exception/exemption. It's a made putt regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by jobwilson82 View Post
    If the disc falls through the basket (e.g. Will's aforementioned putt)there is no need for an exception/exemption. It's a made putt regardless.
    Not if you go strictly by the rule book

Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc
    and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and
    inside wall) of the tray. It may be additionally supported by the pole. A disc observed by two
    or more players of the group or an official to have entered the target below the top of the
    tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.
    The disc has to come to rest in the basket. It also can not enter through the side but that rule does not work backwards if the disc falls through the basket.

Well played Dan, I concede.

I was told by someone that the Otter Creek course (and those very same baskets) were put there by Steady Ed himself, and as sort of a lasting tribute that's the reason there's a strong unlikelihood that they'll be modified to accommodate modern discs.
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

Thread Information