Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alright fine

I think you would probably be in your best interest to get 4 or 5 Leopards and learn to throw them on nice flat, smooth lines.
    Personally, I think the Leopard is the greatest disc ever created, just because it is so versatile. With the right amount of hyzer/anhyzer, it will do whatever you want and hold a line. Plus you can rip them for a mile.

They are sensitive to OAT (Off-Axis-Torque or Yanking It) which is why I think it would be in your best interest to learn from them. Once you have it dialed in to where you are throwing it 300+ on nice smooth, flat lines then you know your form is coming around and you're ready to start moving up.

Quote Originally Posted by djswim View Post
    I have uses for both the ones that cut back hard and not, although I'm getting to the point where I can turn my Teebird over just a bit, and that cuts back pretty hard, so I think I'm set with that for now. Thanks for the responses everyone!

I went ahead and got a DX Leopard and a Star Roadrunner, both in the 166 range. I absolutely love them both. I think the Roadrunner is going to be my go-to driver from now on... it seems more consistent than my Valkyrie. I'm still getting used to the Leopard but it's great as well.

The thing that sucks about being new is that my throw is constantly evolving, so it's hard to keep track of what different discs will do. For example on 12 at CV yesterday I snapped the hell out of the Leopard so hard that it turned into a roller (but ended up being a pretty sweet shot). Both of them are going 30-50 ft. farther than I was able to get my Valkyrie, and with not much effort. I think with the Star plastic that Roadrunner will maintain it's behavior for a while, so I'm going to get about 4 more of them so I can do some field practice and get used to it a little more. Again, thank you all, getting back into this has been frustrating at times for me, but you guys have helped make it a lot easier.

That's not a bad idea... I think I may try to go a little heavier than the one I have though because that roller yesterday was positively EVIL. It didn't even have a high line, if anything it was a little low and still managed to get all the way over and roll. I'm fairly certain it came out of my hand flat, but clearly I'll need to mess with it a little.

On a similar note, where can you buy discs now (Louisville area)? I tried to check out that Derby City place but it was closed. I tried contacting them too and got no response. Are there other stores in town that have a decent selection of discs, varying weights, etc.? I think I read something about Play It Again having some? Any other places?

Thanks in advance.

No just the 2 play it again the one in st mathews area and the other on the outer loop. if you go to brandenburg eddie has a great selection at river town spirits and as i stated earlier cloud 9 will be in selling discs and things @ CVO am weekend

LDGC Public Relations

If your looking for discs locally new and used....come to any league night or a tournament and check with the local golfers...most guys have a slew of plastic they will generally all sell far under market value and you can also get better disc advice then the local stores.... At the same time support stores like pias as its always good plastic is available on the market

I agree with what both Martin and Job said. Learn to throw one mold on a perfectly straight flat line as you 'test' control disc. As long as you can work that disc once your form evolves then you should be able to transfer over to different molds. In getting discs from other players at leagues, be sure to take note of what kind of shape the discs are in if you buy them and especially if you like them. It never hurts to ask questions about something. As you already know a beat up Valk flies differently than an out-of-the-box Valk. Every other mold is the same in this manor. Some of my best discs are beat-to-death discs I got in trade that are virtually irreplaceable because of how I got them and where I got them.
    All I need is some tasty waves and a cool buzz and I'm all right.

I backhand as a hobby, I putt to pay the bills.

A GREAT and fairly new disc is the FD Jackal from Discmania. It is very much like a leopard (SE Leo was my first disc) except a bit faster, not much. Holds a great annie line when thrown hard. Very, very straight disc. I highly recommend it.
    Daniel

My putter still doinks harder than yours!

Default new

here is my 2 cent, as a non throwing crappy player myself I will quote the cool guy lingo "I feel ya"
    If not for the beat up DX leopard I had I might of given up hope. One disc I found that I could control that you might try is a wolf or stingray, and also before I misplaced my beat up Valk at IQ that nobody returned I liked it a lot. Maco seems to be a good one for me also. As for buying new discs I highly recomend Eddie at RTS in brandenbug, he is a hell of a nice guy and will steer you straight and give you a good deal. Hes the one that recomended me the Maco.

The Mako is a midrange but stays straighter than anything I've ever thrown---that being said, if you're getting one get the Star Mako. The Champion Mako does not hold the line nearly as well.
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

Thread Information