Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is an ace?

Mully man is his own team but he has not put up the whole team monies for the Ace pool. That being said not all who play doubles would split the ace pool money with their partner. I do but it is the individual that hits the ace. 1st place money is a team effort so any mully man that can beat the field deserves the prize.

Buffalo Chip

Aces count regardless of how many holes you play. if I put in for Ace Pool in any tournament or league and throw an Ace on hole one and quit I still get the ace pool so that is the best way I have been explained so I dont agree with full round to count an Ace. I seen Martin throw 4 or 5 discs at Fun Farm and his fifth shot ace it. The island hole at the CVO last year is the basket not sure what # and after he hit it he simply said hes not going to count it because of the previous practice throws after 4 or 5 attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmcc View Post
    Mully man is his own team but he has not put up the whole team monies for the Ace pool. That being said not all who play doubles would split the ace pool money with their partner. I do but it is the individual that hits the ace. 1st place money is a team effort so any mully man that can beat the field deserves the prize.
    The ace pool is an individual achievement. If a team agrees to split the ace pool if either one hits it that is between them. None of my aces have come in a league setting. I have been partners with three different people who hit the ace pool and didn't split it. It was never agreed upon, never asked, or never offered. I did benefit from having a 1 on my scorecard.
    Not everyone participates in the ace pool. If you were running a league and someone hits an ace whose partner was not part of the pool, would he collect a full share of the payout from the ace pool? I think people are confusing team investment/payout (entry fee) with individual investment/payout (ace pool). No one pays their monies with the intention of being mully man, it just happens.
    If the mully man has to pay double for the ace pool to be considered for full payout, that does not seem fair, as again, it is an individual achievement.
    As far as percentages increasing for an ace as mully man, I think it is a wash. Mully man may have the opportunity to throw a second drive at the basket, but they are using a different disc and prolly not the first choice to throw on that hole.
    It costs everyone the same to enter an ace pool (usually a dollar). Why should a person be penalized just because an odd number of people showed up for league night?
    If the logic of total investment of the team gets taken into consideration for pay outs, then if the mully wins the round he should (by that logic) only be entitled to half the first place payout and I don't agree with that either.
    Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new..........Albert Einstein

Good points, John. I did actually used to only pay out one portion of the prize pot to the mully man. Because, again, he only paid one portion. I didn't pay him half of his portion, I paid him half of a "teams" portion. I would throw the other portion in the ace pot. I did eventually change that though and I would pay the full "team" portion to the mully man. It was just a little bonus for the hard work of winning as a lone wolf. The ace pool seems a little more sacred to me though. Everyone invests equally into it throughout the season and everyone has the equal opportunity to get it UNTIL you introduce the mulligan man. Then the mulligan man has an extra opportunity, that he didn't pay for or earn in anyway, that everyone else may not get.
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

LDGC Public Relations

When I played doubles up at Mt. Airy in Cincy a year or two ago - If you were the A pool player (PRO/ADV) and you had drawn the Mully - you could only win half the prize pot unless you doubled your entry fee.

As a Mully man winning the ace pool - you should only be able to win the full ace pool on your first shot - if you take a second drive and ace it - I could see only paying 50% of the ace pool.

Well here is my 2 cents. What if you have been playing leagues and put in for the ace pool everytime throughout the season and you draw the mully and hit the ace why wouldn't you get the full pot? I see it as you are playing the round as a two man team and as a mully you are at a disadvantage. So I think if you hit the ace on the fist or second shot, and you come in first for the round you should get full payout. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    Good points, John. I did actually used to only pay out one portion of the prize pot to the mully man. Because, again, he only paid one portion. I didn't pay him half of his portion, I paid him half of a "teams" portion. I would throw the other portion in the ace pot. I did eventually change that though and I would pay the full "team" portion to the mully man. It was just a little bonus for the hard work of winning as a lone wolf. The ace pool seems a little more sacred to me though. Everyone invests equally into it throughout the season and everyone has the equal opportunity to get it UNTIL you introduce the mulligan man. Then the mulligan man has an extra opportunity, that he didn't pay for or earn in anyway, that everyone else may not get.
    What if the Mully man was given the option to pay an additional $1 to have a chance at the full pot.

Thread Information