Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is an ace?

The blue print for the new course had it over between hole 18 & the closed road in the park

I think i heard something about it being put up soon but by tee pad 1

WHo knows i been wondering if we will ever see a new post up board or if they ever plan to pull the old tee sign poles they are not using
    PDGA # 50 7 25 currently rated 858

Cool. Didn't mean to hyjack the thread that just came to mind so I thought I'd ask.

Back to the question at hand...I'm curious WHY you wouldn't count an ace that you received during a round of few than 18 holes? Just for discusion sake.
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

I believe it has been answered, but I will give my two cents regarding Mulligan Man Aces.

My thinking is if it goes on your card as a 1, then it's an Ace. So, if your second throw goes in as Mulligan Man, I would count it. In fact, we had a similar situation happen at our Ice Bowl last year. Matt Watson was teeing off on 13 Short at Mesker. He bought a couple mulligans I believe and wound up dropping one. He got the full ace pot.

Maybe it should be an Ace*. Not as awesome as an Ace straight up, but much more awesome than a Cubby Ace.

Also, this counts as an Ace.

ace9.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jobwilson82 View Post
    My thinking is if it goes on your card as a 1, then it's an Ace. So, if your second throw goes in as Mulligan Man, I would count it. In fact, we had a similar situation happen at our Ice Bowl last year. Matt Watson was teeing off on 13 Short at Mesker. He bought a couple mulligans I believe and wound up dropping one. He got the full ace pot.
    Yeah...I wouldn't have counted it AND he wouldn't have gotten the full ace pot from me if I had been running the event. Half of the pot would have gone to the charity. How fair is it if someone else had gotten an ace on their one, and only, shot on that hole yet he was able to take multiple shots at it and cash in just the same? BUT that is STRICTLY my opinion and I ALWAYS anounced that at any event I ran where muligans may be thrown.
    Last edited by jeremy; 01-06-2012 at 11:38 AM.

But, isn't mulligan man in the truest sense, someone whose partner is himself? So, he would get two shots just like his competition. So, if my partner missed an ace and I hit it, I only get half the ace pool? No, I get it all. Thus, I think regardless of when the ace is hit on mulligans, mulligan man should get 100% of the ace pool. Just seems fair.

OTOH, of course your second shot is "better" because of the "practice" you got from the first shot. I think, in most instances, it's negligible. Maybe it's just me.
    Daniel

My putter still doinks harder than yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    But, isn't mulligan man in the truest sense, someone whose partner is himself? So, he would get two shots just like his competition. So, if my partner missed an ace and I hit it, I only get half the ace pool? No, I get it all. Thus, I think regardless of when the ace is hit on mulligans, mulligan man should get 100% of the ace pool. Just seems fair.

OTOH, of course your second shot is "better" because of the "practice" you got from the first shot. I think, in most instances, it's negligible. Maybe it's just me.
    You could also aruge that the muligan man only pays half of what every other team would pay to be included into the ace pool which makes only paying half of the pot to them make even more sense.

Also, just as you said, one individual throwing a second shot would be statistically more likely to improve their lie than another individual trying to improve the lie.

...but I said that's probably statistically negligible, meaning that the percentage that it is improved is probably not more than a few feet at best. I understand but don't accept the half pay thing. It's just me. It's always up to the discretion of the TD, so I don't have to worry about it!
    Daniel

My putter still doinks harder than yours!

LDGC Public Relations

I consider any shot to be an ace if you tee off from a designated spot and you sink it in the basket in one shot. Round doesnt matter

Not counting upshots just hole layouts

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    You could also aruge that the muligan man only pays half of what every other team would pay to be included into the ace pool which makes only paying half of the pot to them make even more sense.
    It shouldn't matter what the team pays as far as ace pool payout goes. Ace pools are an individual achievement.
    If my partner did not participate in the ace pool and I did and was fortunate enough to get an ace I would expect a full share of the payout. Most, if not all league events are blind draw doubles. If a person paid their entry fee and added an ace pool dollar to the pot and through the luck of the draw (be it good luck or bad luck) ends up as the mully man, this person has the same investment as every other individual does (exception being those who chose not to participate in the ace pool).
    If the mully man in your events turns in the lowest score and finishes first, doe he only collect half of the first place money?
    If not, why the inconsistency in the pay out of the round money and the payout of the ace pool money?
    Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new..........Albert Einstein

Thread Information