Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is an ace?

Default What is an ace?

I was playing CV yesterday and I was just practicing so I was throwing multiple discs from the tee. Well, on hole 5, I smashed the chains with a PD. It did not stick but I wondered if people would have considered it an ace or not. Also, I was curious if anyone would mark their disc in any way for their cubby ace as some people would call it.

Personally, I feel like aces or getting 2's or 3's should only count (get on CV ace hall of fame for instance) if you play the hole or ace the hole with the first drive off the tee. For instance, I have 3'd hole 18 at CV but I threw two drives off the tee and played the second one so I did not have it put on the CV ace wall of fame. If I remember correctly, it seems like there are rules at otter creek if you want to put your name on the ace list there. The rules are something like you have to be playing a round and ace it on your first drive off the tee.

I have my opinions on the matter but I just wondered what other people thought. DISCuss.

Not an ace in my book. Others would certainly
    count this. This is just my opinion of course.

I consider an ace to be a shot that I retrive from the bottom of the basket after my first and ONLY drive on that hole. Even in leagues I've ran, if you're playing as the muligan man and you hit an "ace" on your second shot from the tee you only get HALF of the ace pool.

I've "aced" several shots during practice throws. I can't even imagine how many I've had hit the chains and fall out. Actually, I "aced" old #8 at Otter Creek with a practice, second shot about a year before I got my REAL first ace. If I counted every bounce out and second shot "ace" I would have close to 100 aces by now I'm sure. I had one on #18 at Muldraugh that stuck into the side of the catching portion of the basket. As I aproached the basket and reached for my disc (my hand was, LITTERALLY, inches away) it spit out and fell to the ground. I don't count it.

I do NOT believe that you need to play a whole round to count an ace. I've counted several aces where I was only playing a few holes during lunch or a warm-up hole before a tourny. But, again, I only threw ONE shot from the tee.
    Last edited by jeremy; 01-06-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

Like the only ace i ever got was on the old practice hole at I.Q. I through a couple of the tee & nailed 1 ( don't count ) why don't i count 1 cause it was NOT in my 18 hole game & 1 it was 1 of many thrown from that Tee
    PDGA # 50 7 25 currently rated 858

I was not saying would you count the chain out. I was saying would you count it if it actually stuck. Just to clear things up if someone misread what I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    Like the only ace i ever got was on the old practice hole at I.Q. I through a couple of the tee & nailed 1 ( don't count ) why don't i count 1 cause it was NOT in my 18 hole game & 1 it was 1 of many thrown from that Tee
    I aced the old practice basket at Iroquois during a round with a friend. We played through the practice hole just as if the course was a 19 hole course. I count it. But, again, it was my first and only shot on that hole during that round. If I threw more than one drive from the tee...I would NOT have counted it.

Also, again, I still count an ace EVEN IF I don't play all 18 holes. I played as few as six holes and counted an ace that I hit during that time. I don't see how playing fewer holes than the course has positively influences your likelihood of getting an ace. If anything it decreases your likelihood of getting one due to the fact that you're playing fewer holes and therefore makes it more special.

IF it was your 1st throw at that Tee in your full round then YES

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    IF it was your 1st throw at that Tee in your full round then YES
    Why do you specify a "full round"? As I said in my last post, I disagree that you would have to play a full round to record an ace. Why do you believe you need to log an entire round for the ace to count?

Great discusion.

I was just saying I only count it when I ace in a round of play. Not just throwing on random holes for say practice

Hey, that just made me think? Where is the practice basket at Iroquois? There used to be 19 baskets and now there are only 18. Where is the 19th basket?

Thread Information