View Poll Results: Who should do the 2012 CVO artwork?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Dorn

0 0%
  • Les White

5 100.00%

Thread: 2012 Charlie Vettiner Artist?

Hybrid View

Default 2012 Charlie Vettiner Artist?

It's time to get an artist to do the 2012 characture of Tyler Horne for the CVO.

We've used John Dorn for a number of years now and his work is good (here's a link the CVO artwork he's done and another to other disc golf art he's done).

Last year, Les White made a quick but very nice characture of Ken Climo trying do last year's stamp. Unfortunately the stamp already been completed so I'd like to consider him this year. Here's a link to some of his charactures, and below are some disc art he's made. I wish I could find his Climo characture because it was really good IMHO.
    user16319_pic13322_1304279097.jpguser16319_pic13323_1304279097.jpguser16319_pic13321_1304279097.jpguser16319_pic13324_1304279216.jpg
    Last edited by Adam; 01-04-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

Those are pretty good. Just wondering, why not see if Robby Wildt wants to throw his hat in the ring with a caricature? Him or contact Skeet Scienski? He does the USDGC Roc designs as well as tourney designs. Why not get a whole bunch of different caricatures of Tyler Horne and put it to a vote or let Tyler decide?
    All I need is some tasty waves and a cool buzz and I'm all right.

I backhand as a hobby, I putt to pay the bills.

Why not let anyone submit a design and then have a club vote on it? Offer a prize for the winning artist.

If you don't like any of the submitted designs, then you can outsource it.

Three things...

1.) These guys (John and Les) are professional designers/artists. You don't have them submit a design and vote on them. You hire them based on their past work. That would be like saying I've narrowed down the person that's going to paint my house to three painters. I'm going to have them all come out and paint my house and I'll deside which one did a good enough job to get paid.

2.) It may take a while to get the design from the artist. Again, it's their job and our job isn't their only job so we need to contract them out ASAP.

3.) If we had artist with this caliber of talent and tools in our disc golf community we wouldn't have to consider contracting it out.

I say pick one and roll with it. It's the easiest option and it will give us the best results.

All IMHO, obviously.
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

I completely agree with all 3 points. As a professional graphic artist I am not a fan of asking multiple people to do work and only paying one of them.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    It's time to get an artist to do the 2012 characture of Tyler Horne for the CVO.

We've used John Dorn for a number of years now and his work is good (here's a link the CVO artwork he's done and another to other disc golf art he's done).

Last year, Les White made a quick but very nice characture of Ken Climo trying do last year's stamp. Unfortunately the stamp already been completed so I'd like to consider him this year. Here's a link to some of his charactures, and below are some disc art he's made. I wish I could find his Climo characture because it was really good IMHO.
    user16319_pic13322_1304279097.jpguser16319_pic13323_1304279097.jpguser16319_pic13321_1304279097.jpguser16319_pic13324_1304279216.jpg
    this is les white here. here is the quick climo caricature. adam i have replied to your art questions so let me know asap... i stay pretty busy but when it comes to caricatures i like to think that mine do the most justice to the model without becoming corny...

15 min caricature.jpg
    In Memoriam...
    SSGT Darrell Griffin
    US Army KIA 21 Mar 07
    3rd Stryker Brigade

Thread Information