Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best courses of 2011

LDGC Public Relations

Marcus - you didnt like the bloomington courses - I actually think Crestmont is rather fun and I had no idea that central Indiana had a ghetto - but it does - Crestmont is a small course that weaves through a number of trees - Karst Farm and some Church course are the other two - they werent worth the trip

Have you played Indian Springs in Trafalgar just north of Bloomington - it is a 9 hole ball golf course, you get a golf cart, all the holes have two pads and two baskets for multiple layouts - This was the predecessor to Old English - no where near the same size or quality but a fun course to play none the less

As for Indy - George Washington and Brookside are both great spots - just dont play them after dark.

Indy has been growing a lot recently, but most new courses are on the north side with a few in the southwest. Many of them are beginner courses but that's often what an area needs to get more golfers and demand for tougher courses.

Muncie and the Peru area are both supposed to have some good courses.

I also recommend taking a friend with you at Washington and Brookside, like Mark : )
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

I'll play anywhere at least once. If I don't like it or don't see some positive in the course (besides it just being there to say there's a course) I won't go back. Played in most all of the larger cities in the region within about 3 hours but never made it to Indy, even when I lived in Louisville. Guess I'm trying to make up for it. For my current location, I want to hit up Huntsville, AL and see what they have to offer, only if I could get on at Redstone Arsenal. Adam, you know anything about that?
    All I need is some tasty waves and a cool buzz and I'm all right.

I backhand as a hobby, I putt to pay the bills.

Huntsville has lots of quality courses, you should definitely go down there sometime. Just like Louisville, they don't really have any bad courses. The Athens Sportsplex is the weakest of the 18 hole courses there and I think I still rated it a 2.5. I haven't played Indian Creek (which is the highest rated course in Alabama) because it wasn't complete when I was last there, but I've played the rest. Florence, AL is supposed to have two good courses also but I haven't been there yet either.

I got lucky. I was able to get on the Redstone Arsenal because my friend that lives there has a friend who plays disc golf and used to work on the Arsenal so he had clearance. He also gave us a nice driving tour. That place is filled with history from when they developed and tested rockets for the Saturn and Opollo missions, cool stuff.

If you become a member of the Rocket City Chain Gang your name will be put on the list so you can get in, this is probably the easiest way to get in. Be sure to give them some time to get that updated before you go. You might be able to get in on days they have leagues there, but I'm not completely sure so double check that. You could also contact Lavone Wolfe or someone from the club and see if they'll take you in for a round. I believe Chain Gang members can get guests in but you'll want to double check that also.

So maybe the best thing to do is get on their forum and ask. http://www.rocketcitychaingang.org/
    Last edited by Adam; 01-05-2012 at 12:32 PM.

The best course in Indy isn't even on dgcoursereview (Mohawk)
    Valley View, which is a private course outside Lafayette is one of the best courses I've played. I'd put in my top 5 (Flyboy, T-2, Centralia, Mesker, Valley View) Championship caliber with a very high fun factor. I liken it to Foundation Park in Centralia.

Indian Springs was a nice 18 hole course on a 9 hole golf course. you get a cart fo cheap on the south side of INDY
    Last edited by Mike_D; 01-05-2012 at 03:24 PM.
    PDGA # 50 7 25 currently rated 858

Thanks Adam. I'll work on getting a hold of Lavonne. Met him in South Carolina last year, pretty nice guy with ages of experience. Would be cool to play a round with him and learn a ton of history of the game. Might try to plan that trip for late April or May sometime.
    All I need is some tasty waves and a cool buzz and I'm all right.

I backhand as a hobby, I putt to pay the bills.

Just visited northern Kentucky today and played both Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge/Banklick. Those are definitely quality courses and fun to play. Idlewild may have kicked my butt, but I still had a few good holes and part of that comes with not knowing the holes and what the best/safest way to play the hole may be. I think next time I go I should definitely do better. Banklick on the other hand was significantly easier, but IMO it is still just as good as Idlewild (and that may be due to me playing better). The elevation there definitely plays a big factor, but the surrounding trees, brush, etc really add to it. I had a great time, will definitely be back, and encourage anyone who has the opportunity to play these two courses.
    "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

LDGC Public Relations

Played the upper and lower pulaski courses today With kyle and wyatt- great fun, some of the most beautiful tree threading layouts in kentucky
    The lower is circa 1981 and the top is circa 1996, great complex
    Lots of chances to launch your plastic accidently off the mountain into the abyss

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    Thanks Adam. I'll work on getting a hold of Lavonne. Met him in South Carolina last year, pretty nice guy with ages of experience. Would be cool to play a round with him and learn a ton of history of the game. Might try to plan that trip for late April or May sometime.
    And be sure to stop at his shop and look at all his discs on the wall.

Thread Information