Thread: Tips

Default Tips

Martin and I have spent a lot of time together with him trying to help me with my game and have many discussions on discs being flippy/stable/mean. Last night we played a round @ IQ and discovered why we didnt always agree. This is the tip when you are helping another player with their throw/form find out how they throw. An example would be Martin and I have a lot of similarities and think the same on shots but, Martin is a hyzer thrower and gets more air and comes in to the right of the basket. I am a straight thrower i only throw with hyzer when i feel it is needed there fore i run straight at my target and only throw about 8 feet off the ground. So although we throw together we have different styles and sometime we confuse each other with what we decide is flippy/stable/mean. So remember this when you are coaching a new player.

Hyzer Thrower - throws on a Hyzer angle
    Straight Thrower - throws flat with no angle
    Anhyzer Thrower - throws on an anhyzer angle (a lot of new players do this to compensate for discs being too much for them to handle)
    Last edited by Judge; 12-29-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Good point, Judge. I think a lot of it comes down to the subtleties in different form from player to player. I consider myself a straight thrower for the most part. That's how I learned to play and then branched off from that to learn big hyzers, annys, and so forth. And a lot of it I figured out myself, which may have really slowed my growth. Guess it never hurts to have a local pro to play with fairly often to pick their brain and learn from.
    All I need is some tasty waves and a cool buzz and I'm all right.

I backhand as a hobby, I putt to pay the bills.

Martin's way of throwing is what most top pros do--it minimizes blow bys. That's why they do a lot of spike hyzers. Same idea.

I used to throw straight at it like you, until I realized that you have much better results hitting it from a hyzer angle. It worked well for me. YMMV.

Most top pros also throw almost to a man with a hyzer release. They also throw more straight/understable discs (for their arm, of course). Watch video of Climo and other, older top pros. In the Climo/Feldberg video, KC tells the story where he let DF know how he played the wind. DF was throwing really overstable things to fight the wind (what we'd think, normally) but came up short. KC threw a baet TB and parked it. Point is that a beat stable disc thrown with hyzer is effectively the same (but longer) as an overstable disc thrown flat. The variable is the thrower.

Just trying to help.
    Daniel

My putter still doinks harder than yours!

I remember when I used to try and throw Stable-Overstable discs for those sweeping hyzers (Hole 18 at Mesker comes to mind). I would have some success, but it just didn't seem to be very consistent. Then one day I threw my Valkyrie on a Hyzer line and voila, park job.

The point I'm trying to make is this. Just because you have to throw sweeping left, don't immediately go to your most stable discs. Throw a less than stable disc on a smooth hyzer and watch it hold the intended line, floating smoothly to its destination.

I guess my point was kind of taken off topic. I am happy with my throw i throw stable/under-stable plastic and I am ok with that. Wyatt got what I was saying. I was just meaning when helping others and advising on what discs do or do not do take into account what form they have whichever of the three forms they use not to mention they may not have an arm speed fast enough for the disc(s) they use or you are advising them about. Martin may still come on and say what i said better.

I wasn't really arguing your point, Judge. I was really just adding my own tip.

Basically, Daniel and I were stealing your thunder! BOOM!

Thread Information