Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Par 5

Default Par 5

Just seen a article in Disc Golfer about par 5's just thought it would make a good topic for discussion anyone have any thoughts on this??????

I saw they had an article in there about par 5's, but I haven't got a chance to read it yet. With Old E gone (may it rest in peace) there are only two par 5's in the area, hole 18 at CV and hole 15 at SL.

At only 612ft, the par 5 at CV is relatively short but technical and the 1011ft par 5 at SL is more of a distance challenge. The scoring spread is probably greater at CV because it's seen more eagle 3's, but the rough and OB can stack up fast leading to a 6 or 7. The distance and elevation changes at SL are the major factors of that par 5, but the rough is particularly threatening off the tee.

I love legitimate par 4's and 5's. If designed well, they bring a whole new dimension to a course that par 3's don't.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

What's the distance to the mando on 18?

Quote Originally Posted by jobwilson82 View Post
    What's the distance to the mando on 18?
    According to Google Earth, it is 300' with about 25' of elevation change. 300+25*3=375'. So, it plays like 375' to the mando. In my experience, that sounds about right.

If you expand out to other cities in the region, Idlewild is really the only place I can think of that has any par 5s. Nothing else in the NKY/Cincy, Lexington, BG, Evansville/Owensboro area has any.

I agree with Adam that the focus of the design should be to reward good/great shots and still punish mediocre/bad shots. Great shots should be able to set you up for an eagle but anything worse shouldn't allow you to have that same look. In thinking about the 1000+ footer at Idlewild, two great dives can set you up for a putt/short up but a bad shot there can leave you OB. Same thing about number 18 (651') out there; two great shots can put you on the green whereas even without a big arm, smart course management can yield a birdie.
    All I need is some tasty waves and a cool buzz and I'm all right.

I backhand as a hobby, I putt to pay the bills.

Good point Wyatt, there aren't many par 5's at all. Of the 133 course I've played only 6 of them have one or more par 5's.

Here's a list of the other par 5's I've played besides the ones at CV, SL and Idlewild:
    Foundation Park, Centralia, IL has five holes listed as par 5 from the longs.
    Highbridge Hills Gold course has two par 5's and one 1325ft par 6.
    Highbridge Hills The Bear has one par 5.

All in all we have quite a few par 5's around here, but I'm sure there's room for more : )
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

Think I've played 15 courses with Par 5's out of the 130 I've been to. Always looking for more!

I see the way of course designs incorporating more par 4s and par 5s in the future. Whether they be of the technical nature of something like hole 18 at Idlewild/anything in Charlotte,NC or the big bombs of Old English/Severin, they definitely have a place in the game for serious players. They add an element of strategy/risk-reward that pitch-n-putts nor even intermediate courses can't fathom.
    All I need is some tasty waves and a cool buzz and I'm all right.

I backhand as a hobby, I putt to pay the bills.

I'm all for a par 5 here and there and I like the par 4s at Seviren (well, except for #9) but if you go making a course full of them you are making a course that's only good for the big arms. I think every course needs a few holes that are also in the 250'-275' range to at least give the majority of players the hope of being able to get an ace.

My argument with #9 is that an average arm doesn't have a second shot. If I have a poor throw I deserve to be punished, but I can have a really good (for me,) throw and not have a second shot except something that just kind of flops around the big tree in hopes of landing in the middle.
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

i don't like long just to be long.this is golf not a distance contest. i do like par4's and 5's with placement shots, give the big arms some risk and reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Murphy View Post
    i don't like long just to be long.this is golf not a distance contest. i do like par4's and 5's with placement shots, give the big arms some risk and reward.
    Totally agree. I think some of our longer holes are exactly that way----#2 & #4 at Seviren are perfect examples. On #2 the big arms can let it fly in hopes of getting to the top of the hill and having a look at the basket, but if they go too far they're in the fence line (maybe even OB,) or if they get too far to either side they'll be in the mess. Four is very similar, as it gets pretty narrow near the "arch". I just think if you don't have a big arm there has to be a route for you, too, and I'm not sure #9 has that.
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

Thread Information