Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers

Hybrid View

Default Drivers

I notice that every one I meet throw Bosses, Destroyers and stuff like that for distance, but I don't understand completely why. I throw the Starfire and Orc for distance. I own a Destroyer and I've thrown Bosses, and at a 350 foot range, I haven't seen much of a difference in distance.

it has to do with arm speed as your skills develop you will be able to throw faster discs for more distance

Those discs are high speed drivers which requires them to be thrown fast in order to behave like they are supposed to. Most people do not have the speed to throw those discs and actually do not get anymore more distance from them. I would suggest anyone to stay away from those high speed discs until they are getting their fairway drivers and speed 9-10 discs out close to 400'. Around this power range, those high speed drivers will start to behave more like they are intended to and will go a little further than the speed 9-10 discs. Also, those lower speed discs are a lot easier to control and are more forgiving.

Yeah, what Dan said.
    All I need is some tasty waves and a cool buzz and I'm all right.

I backhand as a hobby, I putt to pay the bills.

I carry Bosses and Destroyers only for my sidearm. If you can throw hard enough to make an overstable disc do what it is supposed to, then step up to those.

I'm with Dan. I don't know you, but I would consider this bag: Valkyrie / Orc / Firebird - Leopard / Eagle / Firebird. Also, really spend a lot of time working with your midranges. If you can get those out to 300-350' with consistency then you can really start working the drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by jobwilson82 View Post
    I carry Bosses and Destroyers only for my sidearm. If you can throw hard enough to make an overstable disc do what it is supposed to, then step up to those.

I'm with Dan. I don't know you, but I would consider this bag: Valkyrie / Orc / Firebird - Leopard / Eagle / Firebird. Also, really spend a lot of time working with your midranges. If you can get those out to 300-350' with consistency then you can really start working the drivers.
    You just explained why I do what I do, then, because I'm sure I don't have the true armspeed needed to throw Bosses and Destroyers but I have both and throw them a lot farther than any of the others you mentioned (in reality I can't even throw any of those others I've tried,) but I throw sidearm.

...and like Ross said, I've probably developed bad habits but they kind of work for me--when I'm having a good day I just call it "unorthodox."
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusGresham View Post
    You just explained why I do what I do, then, because I'm sure I don't have the true armspeed needed to throw Bosses and Destroyers but I have both and throw them a lot farther than any of the others you mentioned (in reality I can't even throw any of those others I've tried,) but I throw sidearm.

...and like Ross said, I've probably developed bad habits but they kind of work for me--when I'm having a good day I just call it "unorthodox."
    Marcus, there's a large difference between the amount of energy transfer from backhand to forehand. With forehand, there is a larger energy transfer and snap generated. That's one of the reasons you're throwing a lot of this overstable stuff. You've figured out how to throw these but without really understanding the proper mechanics behind it. Watch someone like Jeremy Koling to see near flawless form on flick shots. He can flick a Buzzz out to around 350' without his arm being all over the place.
    All I need is some tasty waves and a cool buzz and I'm all right.

I backhand as a hobby, I putt to pay the bills.

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    Marcus, there's a large difference between the amount of energy transfer from backhand to forehand. With forehand, there is a larger energy transfer and snap generated. That's one of the reasons you're throwing a lot of this overstable stuff. You've figured out how to throw these but without really understanding the proper mechanics behind it. Watch someone like Jeremy Koling to see near flawless form on flick shots. He can flick a Buzzz out to around 350' without his arm being all over the place.
    You are more prone to OAT (off axis torque) with forehands and that's why most people tend to throw overstable stuff as a crutch--it will come back if it turns a bit from OAT. Those that can throw mids or putters fairly far FH have the correct technique and those that try this and they turn and burn don't have it. I don't think there is much of a difference in power between FH and BH, just technique. That's my experience being an equal FH and BH player. (FH to 400', 325' mids and 550' BH)
    Daniel

My putter still doinks harder than yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    You are more prone to OAT (off axis torque) with forehands and that's why most people tend to throw overstable stuff as a crutch--it will come back if it turns a bit from OAT. Those that can throw mids or putters fairly far FH have the correct technique and those that try this and they turn and burn don't have it. I don't think there is much of a difference in power between FH and BH, just technique. That's my experience being an equal FH and BH player. (FH to 400', 325' mids and 550' BH)
    This ^^

Although, I think most FH throws are speed dominant and have a relatively low ratio of spin to speed compared to BH. This causes the disc thrown FH to act more understable so the more overstable discs are thrown. Take for instance Ricky Wysocki and Jeremy Koling. Both have good OAT free forehand throws but Jeremy uses understable discs because he gets a lot of spin on his throws because he keeps the elbow close to his body and gets a good wrist snap. Ricky on the other hand, throws like a sidearm baseball throw and develops a lot of speed on his discs with a lower ratio of spin to speed. This is why Ricky tends to throw overstable discs like firebirds.

Also, I agree with Martin that if you are learning to throw FH (or BH for that matter), learn to throw neutral mids and putters like ions, aviars, and comets. If you can throw these 250-300' flat and have them go dead straight then you have pretty solid form with very little or no OAT.

Alot of good replys here. I would also like to point out that newer players who use high speed disc develope bad habits that are harder to fix down the road.
    Orc / Vision / Predator / Teebird / TL / Condor / Roc / Stingray / Voodoo

Thread Information