Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disc Golf Staying Power?

I must be a fanatic I've been playing for at least 10yrs doing leagues and playing tourneys is awesome.Just being out there politics or not is what life is all about.I do hope to see the sport grow to something out of this world like ball golf for ex. before I'm too old to be a part of it.One day we will get there I hope I'm around to see it.

wow...you all are making me nervous. Hopefully life doesn't hit to soon for me. lol
    "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

Buffalo Chip

Everyone has very good points in this thread. I only started two years ago and played religiously with who ever was kind enough to play with me almost every day of the week weather permitting. I would get nervous when winter was approaching, I would buy every piece of plastic I could get my hands on and just loved the socialization. Then after a while you see the politics the cliques and realize the more you play the more you realize it's not all fun and games. People sandbag to win, people won't play mr.x's tournament because they don't like their hairstyles, and when people break their backs for the sport it often goes unappreciated by the 10% who bitch and moan no matter what. We all know that if you receive 100 compliments and 2 complaints the complaints carry much more weight.
    I personally love disc golf and enjoy meeting new friends and learning from the pro's and really have met very few people I wouldn't consider friends on or off the course. Once I took Reif's wise words "it's only disc golf" to heart I started having a lot more fun I also have to give Eddie Whelan's advice that if your not going to make a living at it you might as well have fun.
    I have
    a couple injuries right now that's slowed my roll for the moment but I know it's not the end of the world and I will return as soon as possible. I thank every one of you guys that's helped me out during the past two years and value the friendships I have made so far and look forward to returning as soon as I heal up. I feel like disc golf will always be a source of fun in my life as long as I am physically able to do so.
    Last edited by G1nked; 09-18-2011 at 06:47 PM.

I was wondering where you've been, Shawn! I figured you'd be out for the CVO. Hope you get better soon and get back out there.

(No one can complain about my hairstyle--I don't have too much hair!)
    Daniel

My putter still doinks harder than yours!

Good thread Jeremy and great responses by all. I have not been playing as many tournaments as I would like due to lifes changes. My wife and I became grandparents for the first time 2 1/2 years ago and our grandson (Gavin) is everything to us. I still love the sport and competition, but I play locally for the most part as many days a week that I can. As Gavin gets older I will get him involved in the sport and that may get me out there more often. I really do enjoy most players I meet and consider them to be good people. Keep the faith.
    “Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value.”

Albert Einstein

(No one can complain about my hairstyle--I don't have too much hair!)[/QUOTE]

Shawn can because you have a lot more than he does!
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

Being married, having kids to take care of, going to school, working, and other responsibilities fill up my time. It's more convenient for me to practice when I do have some free time. I live about a mile from a park that has several places to throw. That allows me to go out and throw and come back quicker than it would if I was playing a round. However, if I have more free-time during the day, I'll go play an occasional round.

Honestly, the biggest thing that takes up my time is school. Summer is better for me than Fall-Spring, but there are hardly any tournaments during Summer.

I have mentioned to our club (AceEagles) how to maintain old member numbers. It's a topic I find interesting for sure.

How do you guys think we can maintain good retention levels?

Just curious to see if anyone can cross reference this data with other parts of the country, to see just where we stand. Also, the sport is still growing regradless of retention rates, so how many new disc golfers are there for every one disc golfer that has left the sport?

Thread Information