Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Official 2011 CVO Thread

Get used to it Adam. As an old hand at running events over the years and holding club office, there will always be the ankle biters that want to critque all your actions. The funny thing is, it us usually done the loudest by those that don't do anything themselves to help out. The tournament went well I thought. It was the first time that I can remember being able to just play and not worry about anything else. I appreciate all members efforts to make the CVO a success.

About the only "complaint" I heard from walking and talking with the players was the length of time between rounds for the pros. I think Avery or Will said it had been over 24 hrs since they dropped their last putt. I don't know if that was a positive or negative thing in their minds. I'd think it was a positive (rest) but it could be a negative, I guess (getting cold?).

Just thought I'd pass it along.
    Daniel

My putter still doinks harder than yours!

I'll do a similar review to jcrab66.

Course: Excellent. CV itself is a well balanced and fun course, and I was glad to see the temp holes were not bland filler holes. The OB made them unique and quite enjoyable. The course preparation was incredible, you could tell a lot of work went into marking the OBs on all of the holes, and the OB was marked very well. I was also glad to see nice baskets for the temp holes, I have been to an A-tier this year where the temp holes had traveler baskets... needless to say that was a little odd. The water coolers placed at various points on the course were also a nice addition. No complaints at all with the course.

Players Pack: I see this seems to be a heated discussion already, I figured it would be. I do not intend to argue with or bash anyone on here, or purposely reiterate what has already been said, this is only my thoughts and feelings on the matter.

From the first post:
    I'm doing first come first served on shirt sizes. The majority of the shirts we ordered are Large and XL so there should be plenty of those. We only got a few Medium and 2XL. I would recommend showing up early Saturday morning to ensure you get the shirt size you want.
    The retail value of the Am players pack is over $40! We have limited quantities so register on http://dynamicdiscs.com/regCVO.html to reserve yours now!
    I was personally under the impression that the only reason to show up early was to get the shirt size you wanted. Not to ensure that you got a shirt. If you had X shirts to give out, those X shirts probably should have gone to the first X registered AMs. I registered the first day registration was available online, there was no one on the reg list when I registered. The only reason I did this was to ensure that I got that sweet players pack I read about. So I just suggest more organization in this regard next year.

Now, with that point aside (which I know has already been clearly put out there), the rest of players pack was quite nice. Even though I did not get a scorecard the first day, I mentioned it while getting my payout and a lady setting there was kind enough to get me and my buddy I rode up with a card out of her vehicle. This scorecard is actually pretty sweet. The aluminum bottle is nice and I even like this new warlock.

The caddy book, wow, a freaking life saver. I was playing this course blind my first round, and I can honestly say that I had that caddy book out every single hole, whether I was checking lines or distances it was very useful to me. Excellent job on the caddy book.

People: Everyone I encountered was very nice. I enjoyed everyone in my group, although I don't think I had any locals. The pros were very nice, even got a few tips from an open player on Saturday. The locals running the tournament were also friendly.

CTPs: I was very surprised to see CTPs on just about every hole. The majority of tournaments I go to only have 1 CTP per division and 1 for the whole pool, and those are usually on actual par 3 holes. However, it was kind of neat to have what was essentially a nested long drive competition using CTPs on the open holes. I would, however, cut down on the number of CTPs and just increase the prize for each of them, quality>quantity here I think. And I agree with jcrab, pool A's CTPs shouldn't be out on the course during pool B's round... or we need a meeting before hand to make sure it's clear what pool you are in.

Payouts: I was satisfied with my payouts personally, it did seem slightly less than I would have expected, but I didn't really have a problem with it. However I did over hear a lot of people that seemed dissatisfied. I don't know if there was a problem here or not. You don't always get exactly what you want with payouts, I think people just need to remember that.

Overall: I don't want this huge post to throw you off, I actually had an awesome time at this tournament. Louisville is pretty sweet itself, so there is plenty to do when not on the course. I pointed out what I felt went wrong at this tournament, but I don't mean for that to overshadow what all went right, this was an amazing tournament, and the preparation was incredible. I also loved that it was divided up to be 27 holes one day and 27 the next. Playing 36 holes in one day like most tournaments do is just brutal. Excellent tournament, I had a lot of fun, and I will definitely be returning next year.

Thanks again to everyone who was a part of making this tournament possible. See you next year!

Thanx for the great critiques! Well stated, valuble input. I'm certain these guys will benefit from posts like this.
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    Thanx for the great critiques! Well stated, valuble input. I'm certain these guys will benefit from posts like this.
    I agree. The critiques are a lot more valuable to those running the tournaments than complaints.
    "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

Just a thought on the CTPs. I know the rain played havoc with the papers and the only way to avoid that is to have baggies on them. Even with baggies you have to take them out to write and you end up with the same problem........unless.....(and maybe this is a small thing the club would invest in to have available for tournaments,) could there be little blank laminated cards like the score cards that are used for CTPs?
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

99% sure he's talking about the Madisonville Open. Good ol' HB at his best.

LDGC, you can always take pride in the fact that your tournament destroys anything HB puts on.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    I was also glad to see nice baskets for the temp holes, I have been to an A-tier this year where the temp holes had traveler baskets... needless to say that was a little odd.

CTPs we ran out of time and had 27 holes so they got distributed @ one time and it will be dealt with better next year as well almost all CTps had a shirt a disc and some stickers that is why there were so many because we could put nice products in all of them. Thank you for your input we are keeping track and want next years tourney to top this years. glad you had fun and see you in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusGresham View Post
    Just a thought on the CTPs. I know the rain played havoc with the papers and the only way to avoid that is to have baggies on them. Even with baggies you have to take them out to write and you end up with the same problem........unless.....(and maybe this is a small thing the club would invest in to have available for tournaments,) could there be little blank laminated cards like the score cards that are used for CTPs?
    I don't know if we will do this for sure yet but I did bring it up at our event recap meeting.

I would also like to thank those who have given detailed critiques, we are taking them all into consideration and appreciate your input. As a team this was our first time running this event and we knew there would be some mistakes. We are rolling with it and hope to see everyone again in 2012.
    Orc / Vision / Predator / Teebird / TL / Condor / Roc / Stingray / Voodoo

One more minor suggestion for next year

Two separate ace pools for each pool.

Thread Information