Thread: 2011 Buffalo Trace Open - Hanging Basket

Hybrid View

Default 2011 Buffalo Trace Open - Hanging Basket

Since there was some controversy regarding the hanging basket and the 2 Meter rule being used to penalize shots that landed on top of the basket, I sought out a ruling. This is a direct quote from Chuck Kennedy at PDGA.

"Bogus ruling. TD would need waiver from the PDGA Tour Manager for that call since it goes against the intent of the rule. As was pointed out above, the 2-meters should be measured above the highest point in the basket that a disc can hole out. And since that is not really clear, it makes even having the 2-meter rule over the basket inappropriate. Now what the TD could have done to get the same effect without needing a waiver is simply stating that landing on top of the target was OB including when the disc is partly projecting past the edge. But if OB on that target, why not every target? Let's penalize a bad shot that hasn't holed out on the target even more?"

My argument, which I believe has been validated, was and still is that the bottom of the basket is considered part of the playing surface. Since the bottom of the basket is still in play, then you technically would have to go 2 meters above that point. If it wasn't, then holing out would be impossible on the hole because the bottom of the basket is higher than 2-meters.

Luckily, I don't believe anyone was affected. If someone had been, I believe they could have had a legitimate excuse for appeal. (I'm assuming a PDGA waiver was not obtained since there was no mention of it.)

I'm not really griping at anyone in particular. I'm really just trying to educate and inform you in case a situation were to arise.

If you wish to see the entire thread on dgcoursereview, here is the link: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=41769

Thanks,
    Job Wilson

BTW, I want to say that I really had doubts about the hanging basket. But when I saw it, I was amazed. You guys did awesome! I'm already going to start working on getting one put in on hole 1 at Henderson.

Now, given that ruling, would that mean that if you somehow managed to land on top of the beam you still wouldn't be penalized because it's not more than 2 meters above the basket? Furthermore, if you were to get stuck in the trees on that hole does it not qualify as a penalty either, unless it's more than 2 meters higher than the basket?
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusGresham View Post
    Furthermore, if you were to get stuck in the trees on that hole does it not qualify as a penalty either, unless it's more than 2 meters higher than the basket?
    Only if the tree is directly above the basket!

Thanks for the info. From now on I say no two meter rule if your disc lands on top of the basket. I thought the two meter rule was from the ground up. Live and learn.
    “Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value.”

Albert Einstein

Tournament's over with. The ruling doesn't apply anymore. Also, yes and yes.
    All I need is some tasty waves and a cool buzz and I'm all right.

I backhand as a hobby, I putt to pay the bills.

Well, there has been a twist. This came from Andrew Sweeton, PDGA Tour Manager on 8/12/11 14:08.

My official response on the subject:

Ruling:

"The hole as played and officiated in the event was legal as per the current 2011 PDGA Rules of Play and Competition Manual and as such did not require a waiver from the PDGA."

Commentary:

"Although legal under the current rules, this application of the two-meter rule was not well thought out and should not have been put in place. If I had been asked about this prior to the event, I would have strenously advised against using the two-meter rule in this fashion. The purpose of the two-meter rule is to provide risk-reward scenarios based on obstacles on the course. As the ultimate goal of every disc golf hole, the target itself should not be a risk-reward proposition and should not come in to play as an "obstacle" with the two-meter rule applied to it."

Thread Information