Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pdga global tourney

Well its my opinion that if all they have to by to gauge course conditions is the players scores, then I believe the system is lacking. Because In my observation of the course and its conditions on Saturday and Sunday, I saw no difference. I on the other hand did see a difference in the players determination to do better then before.
    I also believe, And I could be wrong, But its my belief that a course does not play easier from one day to the next if the conditions are the same. I may play better from one day to the next but its not because the course is saying "ok im sorry to make it so hard for you yesterday, I'll give you a break today".
    I think if they want to take course conditions into account (wind, rain ect..) then I would think a TD would be required to report the course conditions when he/she turns in the scores. This would take the guess work out of factoring the ratings.
    I just can't believe they would look at the scores and go "Oh 80% of the field shot a better round, we have to assume the course got much easier that day". No this is a poor plan.
    Does anyone else agree or am I just delusional?
    Steve Jones
    PDGA # 39463

Steve, in principal what you are saying makes sense. A few things to think about:
    First, Chuck Kennedy isn't sitting at his computer with a calculator figuring up round ratings. Ratings are automatically figured based on the scores of players, SSA and propagators. The propagators are players whose rating is above 800 (I believe) and have played x number of rounds. If these players as a whole shoots better than the day before, then this will cause the SSA to drop a notch and thus ratings will slip.
    Ratings are also based off of who is shooting what. When a 969 rated player shoots a 46, it's a 1054 rated round. If Kern was higher rated, it may have gone up a few points, thus driving the field's rating higher.
    If you look at some of the other cities with higher rated players, those groups finished higher as a whole.

I agree Job. And when the results become official I believe the round ratings will change so the ssa of the course will be the same through all three rounds since there were no adverse conditions affecting any of the rounds.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

LDGC Public Relations

The ratings response from Chuck Kennedy - my email and his answers

In a message dated 8/21/2011 6:03:56 P.M. Central Daylight Time, deucetheville@gmail.com writes:

Chuck-

question - I have reported the scores for today and I dont understand why the ratings have dropped so drastically from yesterday.

Chuck: I took a look and it seemed like lower rated players played relatively better than the better players today. The fluctuation is within expected range of fluctuations though. That's the reason we do three rounds on the same course to average out the fluctuations.

all in all conditions were actually tougher today with the wind. thoughts?

I was also wondering as this whole global leaderboard is based on these unofficial ratings - will these ratings change any as they become official?

Chuck: Yes. The official ratings will be slightly different but will add up to within 1 point of the same global total for the three rounds.

otherwise it was a great event and the players really enjoyed playing virtually with players around the world

One of our local golfers from Seymour, IN, Makato Nagata, who is from Japan, played the tourney here in Louisville so that he could compete with his friends in Japan - I thought this was a very cool story - we have a video our club president did with him about this event.
    let me know what would be the best way to get you this video

Chuck: We gave him a shout out in our 10pm show tonight if you were able to watch. I would consider putting the clip on YouTube and sending the link to Duesler and me.

- Chuck

LDGC Public Relations

Check out http://www.livestream.com/discgolfpl...2-2f429e3c92af

they did videos every two hrs on saturday

check out the 50 min video from 10 pm on sunday

shoutouts to Makota Nagata, Jim Ferrara, Dave Greenwell, and Steve Simpson - and a little mention of how the Louisville ratings fluxed so much more then everywhere else

Robby Wildt looks good on top of that leaderboard with his low 964 rating - great shooting Rob

LDGC Public Relations

Full Results http://www.pdga.com/global-payouts-usdgc-qualifiers

LOCAL USDGC QUALIFIERS

Robby Wildt 964 rating - averaged 1016 - difference of 52 - 9th best in the world
    Daniel Allgeier 866 rating - averaged 933.7 - difference of 67.7 - 3rd best in the world

Robby Wildt won $75
    Matt Kern won $43
    Eric Gallusser won $30
    Dave Greenwell won $130
    Steve Simpson won $25

Checks are to be mailed out Tuesday

Great shooting guys!

Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

Congrats on the USDGC spots guys and to the others who cashed! Thanks Martin for running this interesting event!
    Orc / Vision / Predator / Teebird / TL / Condor / Roc / Stingray / Voodoo

That sounded like a great time and a great idea for an event. I just wish I could have played.

As for the ratings, since it's a weighted system if the lower rated players shoot better than expected and the top guys shoot worse, the ratings will come down (as Chuck said). There are definite weaknesses to the system but it allows flexibility in the ratings for when the wind comes up or rain arrives and raises *everyone's* scores. That's how it should be and in that respect, it works well. Now, if the top shoot worse and the bottom (proverbially) shoot better, then that cannot be avoided in this type system, as far as I understand it.

I hope they do this again so I can possibly join in! Just really cool to play against friends in Japan like the guy did here...
    Daniel

My putter still doinks harder than yours!

Matt Kern shot the best round out of anyone for round three.
    Way to go Matt

Thread Information