Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to this...

Default New to this...

I'm just beginning my sojourn into the world of disc golf, and i have a few questions.

1). as far as beginners go, what is the best way to go as far as discs?

2). Does it cost money to play at the public parks around Louisville?

3). How often are discs lost?

4). my interest in this sport comes from ultimate, (i have played quite a bit in college...) are the throwing styles similar?

Much Thanks!

- pwpenick

I'd venture to say most of us began (or at least several of us,) with a 3-pack from Dick's Sporting goods. They run about $25, and you get a driver, a mid-range, and a putter. Save that $25 and go out to Derby City Discs on Bluelick Road. Have Damon help you select beginner discs, and feel free to get used ones---really, you actually want "beaten in" discs because you'll have a truer flight, plus, you'll probably get them for $5-$8 a piece.

Some courses in the area do charge (Fun Farm in Lanesville is $5, Buffalo Trace in Palmyra is $3--although you can park in the lot at the back end of the park and it's free to walk in, Otter Creek is about $5 to get in I believe,) but most courses--both in Louisville, Seviren Lang at Garry Cavan Park in Edwardsville, Freeman Lake in E-town, Meade-Olin in Brandenburg, Muldraugh, Radcliff, I can't think of any more local at this point---are free.

As for similarity to ultimate, I couldn't answer that one because it didn't exist when I would have been young enough to play it (or if it did I didn't know about it,) but I bet Martin Young will answer this at some point on here, and he is/was really good at both sports.
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

Hi there and welcome to the sport. As far as discs go, I'd stick with understable discs like Leopards, Roadrunners, Archangels, Sidewinders in lighter weights (150-169g).

All courses in public parks are free, there are only a few courses in the greater area that are pay-to-play. Here's a map of all the courses in the area. Click on the course name to learn more about it.

Discs aren't lost often but the less experienced a player is, the great chance they'll throw an errant shot that ends up getting lost.

I haven't played ultimate so I can't help you there. From what I understand it's similar but different.

See you on the course!
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusGresham View Post
    I'd venture to say most of us began (or at least several of us,) with a 3-pack from Dick's Sporting goods. They run about $25, and you get a driver, a mid-range, and a putter. Save that $25 and go out to Derby City Discs on Bluelick Road. Have Damon help you select beginner discs, and feel free to get used ones---really, you actually want "beaten in" discs because you'll have a truer flight, plus, you'll probably get them for $5-$8 a piece.
    That's excellent advice, go visit Derby City Discs.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

Thanks so much!
    I had planned on visiting Derby City Discs in the morning.
    Also, i'm rather curious as to the ins and outs of the league that you all have running; any info on it would be much appreciated!

one thing i forgot...
    is it too audacious a move to play my first round at Charlie Vettiner? it's the closest to my house, and being a poor college student...

Buffalo Chip

all i say that Charlie Vettiner course is superb in this area. you have a ton of selections if you include the Sunny side of Louisville here in Indiana but if you can learn at Vettiner all the other courses will seem very easy imho

Come out to Thursday night leagues. All skill levels
    welcome. Starts at 6:00. We are a friendly bunch.
    This will pair you with a partner that is better than
    you (maybe) and it will also allow you to see how the
    game is played correctly. (for the most part)

Take care and happy discing.

Also, when you get your discs be sure to write your name and phone number on the bottom of them. There are some people who will find them and keep them, but the vast majority of players will call you and find a way to get them back to you.
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

Quote Originally Posted by pwpenick View Post
    one thing i forgot...
    is it too audacious a move to play my first round at Charlie Vettiner? it's the closest to my house, and being a poor college student...
    I would go play Iroquois first with this heat wave. CV is a good course but it is demanding and can be very brutal on hot days.

As far as disc go I would get a new mid and putter for now (from Derby City Disc of course). While I agree with Marcus that beat disc are great, I think its better for beginners to get new plastic. It lets you see how the disc breaks in and that is important to know.

I have never played ultimate before but alot of people transition well between the two sports. Throwing lids teaches smooth mechanics and thats good for your form.

Here is a chart that shows the basic throwing styles: http://www.innovadiscs.com/downloads...echniques.html
    Orc / Vision / Predator / Teebird / TL / Condor / Roc / Stingray / Voodoo

Thread Information