Thread: Otter Creek Walk-through (12/13/10)

Hybrid View

Default Otter Creek Walk-through (12/13/10)

Eddie Whelan and I just got back from a walk-through at Otter Creek with the new Park Manager. The course is not in TERRIBLE shape over all but there will be a LOT of work (as I've said before). He okayed the layout (the original layout) and now the next step is a work day that we're going to schedule after the beginning of the year. I'll post more about our meeting later.
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

Here’s the scoop on how our meeting went.

Eddie and I meet up with the new manager at Otter Creek yesterday. He wanted to get a grasp on where the course was and how much land it covered. We started on hole one and walked the entire course. The course is littered with a variety of debris ranging from piles of small limbs to large, fallen trees. This is due to the ice and wind storms we’ve had since the park closed and was expected. Many of the tee pads were completely grown over. Really, overall, the course is NOT in bad shape. We didn’t lose any trees that really effect any shots.

The manager stated that he would like us to move any of the debris we move to the out skirts of the course and form piles. These piles will not be burned or removed from there but will create wildlife habitats. He was VERY interested in EVERY hole. He wanted to stand on every tee pad and see the placement of every basket. The only hole he had a problem with is the only hole that’s changed from the original design. He didn’t like that hole #8 was positioned to where a long drive could land you on private property. We may have to move the pin 25 feet close to the tee. He stated that any time we work there will have to be a KY Fish & Wildlife worker present. He said that they will have tractors with bucket loaders, chain saws, and other tools at our disposal and that we would have to sign waivers in order to work there. Any trees that would need to be cut down (I only seen two) would have to be okayed by him (he okayed the two that I pointed out) and would have to be done before April (this timeline has something to do with the Indiana bat’s habitat). They’ll take care of mowing and garbage removal. We’re free to build benches and tee signs as necessary and the only organization that will be promoted on the courses signage is KY Fish & Wildlife and Otter Creek Outdoor Recreation Area.

He confirmed the price of admission at $3 per visit $30 per year. This is for general admission. Other activities will cost you more. He reminded me that KY Fish & Wildlife is paying for this themselves. This is NOT being given to them and they did not ask to take it over. They were persuaded to take it over. The admission fees are to help recoup the money that they will be pouring into the area with the hope that the area becomes self sufficient (they can’t use the word park…that’s why I said area). They expect to have spent over half a million dollars on the area by the time it opens. He said once the debt is gone and they start making money THEN they would start pouring some money into the activities. This gave me the opportunity to plug ANOTHER disc golf course. I had zero intention of bringing that up but the opportunity presented itself. He simply stated that the mountain bikers will want to expand their trails, the campers will want more room to camp, etc. Everyone wants more for their own hobby. The activity that draws the most people will be given the most priority.

I asked how soon we could get in there to work. He said that he wants to get busy right after the holidays. There’s a LOT of work to be done but if we get enough people out there I think we can have it knocked out in a month or less. I hope we can make a HUGE first impression with them by getting a HUGE crowd of golfers out there to work. This won’t be for any club's or any person's glory. If that's your motive...stay home. The ONLY motive behind our efforts should be to get our course back in the ground. See ya there!

Feel free to ask any questions.
    Last edited by jeremy; 12-14-2010 at 09:14 AM.

Sounds great, once you get a date confirmed post it here and we'll get a crew down there to help out.

Yeah let me know about the work day Jeremy, I'll come out and help.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

Good stuff Jeremy! I would also like to help on the work days so let us know as soon as they are announced.
    Orc / Vision / Predator / Teebird / TL / Condor / Roc / Stingray / Voodoo

Shout outs to Jeremy & Eddie. Nice, professional job, as usual, guys.

never got to play the park but would sure like to help to get it back open

Buffalo Chip

J o f !

Eddie nor I need any "thank you's" or praise. KFW is doing the real work. If you want to thank someone, shake the hands of the KFW guys that will be helping us on the work days. Thanx for being so interested and excited about an area that's very dear to me.

Thread Information