Thread: Disk Noobs first post

Default Disk Noobs first post

Hey guys and dolls my names Dan and I'm a noob. I'm out of Mt. Washington and play mostly at Charlie Vettiner about anytime I don't have to work. I work part time for Advanced auto parts and go to school full time at Sullivan. For fun I do 50's Von Dutch style pinstriping and gaming. I'm always looking for people to play with so hit me up.

Welcome aboard. Did you do that artwork? Looks pretty slick.
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

Welcome! If you ever decide to head south instead of north and find your way to Lebanon, hit me up!

Welcome aboard Dan! That skull would make a sweet dye!
    Orc / Vision / Predator / Teebird / TL / Condor / Roc / Stingray / Voodoo

I'm down for a round at CV. Just give me advanced warning as I have two kiddos to contend with...
    Daniel

My putter still doinks harder than yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    Welcome aboard Dan! That skull would make a sweet dye!
    I'v killed 3 disk trying to copy my pinstriping with dye. The lines are just to fine and the dye leaks under the mask. Anyone good with dye?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    Welcome aboard. Did you do that artwork? Looks pretty slick.
    Something like that. A guy cleaned that one up with photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I'v killed 3 disk trying to copy my pinstriping with dye. The lines are just to fine and the dye leaks under the mask. Anyone good with dye?
    Increase the line size in photoshop a little and that may help when cutting the stencil. It obviously will not be the same but similar. Make sure that you are using sign vinyle too for your stencil. Contact paper doesn't like that detailed of a line. I have never seen anyone that free hand cuts vinyl with that thin of line for that long of line so in general it may be too difficult. You could try to get someone that does sign printing to cut it for you. Another thing that may help is getting a rotating blade exacto knife from a hobby store. They flow a lot better than a rigid exacto.

You could also paint/dye straight to the disc using a ultra fine sharpie. Shaprie seems to last a long time on Champion type plastic. I have seen some hand done discs online that are really works of art.

PM me if you want some more help. I have done a couple of technical dyes for Jeremy Watts and Keith Galluser and maybe have some ideas for you to try with your dyeing. You can click on my name and view my profile and then click on my album to see two of the discs that I have done. The Throw disc is the one that I was talking about. Good luck.
    Jason Van Over

Jason, what do you charge for custom dyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    Jason, what do you charge for custom dyes?
    That is a tricky question. If you have the artwork you can send it to me and I can tell you if it is something I can do and then I will tell you what I would charge. Depends on how technical it is. Jeremy is paying me a CE Roc for what I did for him.

Also I have a 9 month old that is taking up a lot of my time so it could take a little while to do it to. Ask Jeremy and Nate how long it took to get their discs back. I think I had Jeremy's disc for a year because I got married and moved into a new house and stuff like that that took up my time and his disc was very technical. It won't take that long again but it may take a couple of weeks for me to do it if I can.

Email me at: j v a n o v e r @ i n s i g h t b b . c o m
    Jason Van Over

Thread Information