Thread: Meeting with 21st Century parks

Default Meeting with 21st Century parks

The park director for 21st Century Parks contacted us recently wanting to talk about disc golf in the Floyd's Forks. Dave, Steve and I met with him today and had a great meeting.

He is already familiar with disc golf and helped install two courses (one of which he said has hosted the state championship) while working for a parks department in Virginia. Dave and Steve told him about the long history of disc golf in Louisville and their vision for the future of disc golf here.

I am extremely impressed with the things he was telling us about 21st Century Parks and what they want to do. They are a transparent, non-profit organization that has very big goals. I'm sure everyone has at least heard about the Floyds Fork initiative and about encircling Louisville with parks. I didn't realize how incredible this really is until today. They want to really focus on design and aesthetics of the parks and do things right. If you want to learn more about them, click here to visit their website.

They have a very big vision and long term goals to make it happen. He told us they are slow but deliberate, and they do what they say they're going to do. He really stressed to us that we shouldn't confuse their slowness for unwillingness or forgetfulness. They are very interested in having disc golf in these new parks but their goals are long term. They've got 4000 acres of new parks to work on and it will take them time to plan it out and do it right. This will not happen overnight, we're talking years in the future.

There's no need to let them know of your support for disc golf in these parks because as I mentioned, he sought us out, is already familiar with disc golf, and he's in charge of all the activities that will be in these new parks. Your help will be needed much more when it's time for volunteer help.

I don't know about you, but I see inefficiencies around me all the time and think "why can't this be done the right way, the way it should be done?" I get the impression 21st Century Parks is here to do things the right way.

I want to give a big thanks to Dave and Steve who have helped make this happen. They've been to countless 21 Century Parks meetings over the years and their hard work is starting to pay off.
    Last edited by Adam; 06-22-2010 at 07:47 PM.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

I was just thinking about this yesterday and was wondering how it was going. I remember when it was first mentioned at a meeting and have the site bookmarked and I'm also on the mailing list. Sounds good and thanks for the update Adam!
    Orc / Vision / Predator / Teebird / TL / Condor / Roc / Stingray / Voodoo

I got the same information from them in August of last year when I spoke to them. I originally was speaking to the magistrate over the park off of Shelbyville road past Gene Synder. His assistant said that the park was being "transformed" as part of the 21st Century project and put me in contact with them. I'm glad that it is still in the works. Dave has told me about the meetings he has attended and I believe he has gotten the same impression too. Slow and Steady wins the race. (Unless you are a sprinter )
    Jason Van Over

Thread Information