Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Course Update - E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park

Default New Course Update - E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park

For those of you who haven't read the posting in another thread there is a potential for a new course to be installed at E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park. Here is the latest update:

1. Course proposal was submitted to the Park Director at Tom Sawyer today.

2. The response that I got from the Park Director today:

"Thanks Jason…proposal on the surface looks like great. I will need to start our process of review. Give me a few weeks for a general response. Thanks!!"

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. Again, please do not call and harass the park director. It is still up in the air and we don't want to jeapordize the course.

On another note, please start considering fundraising for the course if it does go through. This will be 100% paid for by us, the golfing community. Time to show your support to what we all love. I will have more details about the how the funding will take place if it gets approved. Just start thinking on what or how you can contribute.
    Jason Van Over

If the LDGC becomes a non-profit (501 C 3), we can do fundraising while we do our grocery shopping. Kroger has a program that will give back 4% of sales to a charitable organization.

All we have to do is buy gift cards and resell them to cost anyone who wants to participate. All the cards will be linked to the fundraising account so they'll know how much we spend and thus how much to give us. There is one catch, but it's very minor. Before you check out, you have to put money back on the gift cards, then use the gift card to pay. Here's the link to Kroger's site where it is explained better:

http://www.kroger.com/mykroger/024/P...ising_faq.aspx
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. – Carl Sagan

What about using the baskets from OCP, even though they're not the best, it's better than having to buy brand new ones. Thoughts? I don't think they're being used anywhere else, are they? Plus, they are the state's property, right?
    Daniel

My putter still doinks harder than yours!

I thought Otter Creek was a city park. Because the city of Louisville ran it and that's why it got closed, right?

I'm not sure if we can get a city park to give baskets to a state park. In government terms, that probably like crossing the streams. And as we all know, you never cross streams unless there's a giant stay puft marshmallow man involved

With that said, it would be awesome if we could at least get those baskets loaned to us. And as money is raised, we could buy new ones give the OCP baskets back. But I'm not holding my breath.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. – Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I thought Otter Creek was a city park. Because the city of Louisville ran it and that's why it got closed, right?

I'm not sure if we can get a city park to give baskets to a state park. In government terms, that probably like crossing the streams. And as we all know, you never cross streams unless there's a giant stay puft marshmallow man involved

With that said, it would be awesome if we could at least get those baskets loaned to us. And as money is raised, we could buy new ones give the OCP baskets back. But I'm not holding my breath.
    You're right, now that I think about it. I think they were possibly going to switch Tom Sawyer for OCP at one time, maybe that's what I was thinking...who knows!

I think if someone approached them, we could probably get 'em. What are they doing right now--rusting in a garage? I guess kinda like the CV baskets were for all those many years...but that's another story...
    Daniel

Thanks for the update Jason!
    Orc / Vision / Predator / Teebird / TL / Condor / Roc / Stingray / Voodoo

The OCP baskets are going to stay at OCP. With the exception of the OCP baskets that are at Muldraugh. If we removed the baskets from OCP we would be less likely to get a course reinstalled when the park reopens.
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    The OCP baskets are going to stay at OCP. With the exception of the OCP baskets that are at Muldraugh. If we removed the baskets from OCP we would be less likely to get a course reinstalled when the park reopens.
    Will it ever re-open? I didn't even know that was an option...
    Daniel

I want to appologize about my post. It sounds kind of cryptic about the funding. I want to try to be as open as possible with what is going on but the approval has be done in stages and I don't want to say one thing and then it changes as the approval process goes along.

Some options that have been discussed with the park director so far:
    1. Selling longterm hole sponsorships that could be sold to approved businesses for $750-1000. There may be some issue with alcohol/tobacco related stores buying sponsorships due to being a kid friendly public park.
    2. Overall course sponsorship like a Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium type sponsorship.
    3. Club fundraising like what has been mentioned. We just raise money from tournaments, discs, gift cards, etc.

I have another option similar to what Adam posted about Kroger that is a purchasing card that can be used at a variaty of locations. You load it up before you go out and you can spend money at different locations. You don't have to spend all of it at the same place either. It's like a rechargable Visa and the club would earn 6%.

http://www.gregscard.com
    Jason Van Over

"Thanks Jason…proposal on the surface looks like great. I will need to start our process of review. Give me a few weeks for a general response. Thanks!!"
    Does this mean that it will take a few weeks for them to pass it on to Frankfort or does it mean that it will take a few weeks before we have a "yes" or "no" answer?

Thread Information