Thread: A Brief Interview with Kevin Rarick (the KY State Rep.)

Hybrid View

Default A Brief Interview with Kevin Rarick (the KY State Rep.)

How did you get your start in disc golf?

I started playing with my family back in 1994 when we lived in Nicholasville KY. We (my parents and younger brother) would go out to Shilito park quite often with my aunt and uncle. I was six years old at the time.

How long have you played? How long have you played professionally?

I've played roughly 15 years off and on. When I got my drivers license I wanted an excuse to drive... Disc golf was the first thing I did, and I've played pretty steady since. I started competing professionally in 2006. That is the same year Gateway started sponsoring me. I had no use for the plastic that I was winning in the AM devision, so I just decided to start playing open.

Which courses do you play the most in Bowling Green?

I've probably played Kereiakes and Lovers Ln. the most. Lately I've been going to White park and the Riverview course (on the ball golf course at Hobson) more than anything. I love to get out and play GOLF.

Who's been the biggest inspiration in your game?

I started playing with Shawn Sinclair quite a bit when him and Juliana moved to Bowling Green. He's influenced my game more than anyone. We've never really done lessons or anything like that, I've just learned so much by watching him.

When you were coming to the Kentucky State Championships did you ever imagine going home with the title of State Representative?

Absolutely! If you don't believe it, you don't stand a chance. I'd worked really hard leading up to that one. I've been super busy with school this semester and haven't really had the chance to get out and play much. But, I've got a huge field by where I'm living now and I've been going out there and throwing in my free time. I've also been working on putting quite a bit. Hard work always pays off.

When did you start to realize that the title was likely to be yours?

I really tried not to think about it while I was on the course. I was just trying to take one shot at a time. Coming down the stretch, I let some of those USDGC thoughts creep in and I missed some putts because of it. I thought that Andy Ritter had caught me, and I knew that Eric Roadhouse and Scott Reif were probably hot on my tail. I had no idea till the scores came in.

How did it feel knowing that you had clutched the spot?

It felt totally surreal. I felt so honored to get the spot out of all the fantastic golfers in this state that have been beating me everywhere I go. I've been keeping up with the USDGC for years, watching the videos and everything. I can't believe I actually get to go this year!

How will you practice for the USDGC?

Probably much of the same. I've found it best to go to an open field and throw a bunch of hyzers, anhyzers, and flat shots. I'm also probably going to set up some boundaries that I'll have to throw within. More importantly, I'm going to devote a lot of time to putting. It would be great to play a bunch of tournaments this year leading up to it, but I'm going to be super busy.

Will Ketley (Kevin's fiance) be going to Rock Hill with you? If so will she caddy for you?

Yeah, she's going to caddy for me. She caddied for me at worlds last year and I thoroughly enjoyed her being there. It's so nice to have someone there rooting for you like she does (and taking the weight of that bag).

You guys will be married then right?

Yeah, we're getting married on May 29th.

Is there anyone you would like to thank?

First I have to thank Ketley. She's been very encouraging, and is more excited for me then anyone else. Big thank you to my parents who have been supporting me and paying my way in to the last few tournaments. Luckily I've been able to pay them back. A HUGE thank you to Jeremy Watts and the KY State Disc Golf folks who are supporting me by paying my way into the USDGC.

I'd also like to thank my sponsors Disc Golf Shop & More and Gateway
    Disc Sports. I got a great crew backing me up! Thanks all!!

"...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

Great interview! Seems like we have a great representative to be proud of. Best of luck Keving at the USDGC and your work leading up to it.

Thread Information