Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: george rogers clark park

And BTW, on a separate note, I have a good friend who works at/for the Parklands of Floyds Fork, and he has told me several times that a disc golf course is in their plans. Unfortunately though, it's apparently part of the last phase.

This obviously doesn't satisfy the op's desire (and mine) to have a course "inside the watterson x-way," but it's worth noting.
    Last edited by Dupis; 06-18-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupis View Post
    I would love to see a course there too. To be honest though, I've never even considered the idea until I read this thread. I live right off Poplar Level, a few blocks from the Zoo, so the drive to GRC would obviously be very optimal for me. I actually do go there sometimes to play tennis and basketball. It's a nice place but not too big. I've never really ventured to the "wooded" areas though or anyplace another than the courts. I'm guessing only a 9 hole course would work well.

I don't know for certain, but I would imagine some people have been against it because St X I know uses the park for their cross country practices and other sports too I think. Some other schools around there might use the park too. Parking could be a challenge as well, because it can get a little congested around there with cars. I know some X students park over there. And I bet the neighbors around there have voiced opposition also. Above all, I just doubt that the course is big enough to have a good, safe course without taking up too much of the space there, and thus interfering with other people's interests.
    I use to live right near there too and have gone out and made a safari course there. There's easily enough land for 18 holes with only minimal interruption from the other sport courts though I can't say for the cross country runners. I started "my" course back near the soccer field near where Filson Ave. turns into French Ave. and made a complete loop around the park for 18 holes.
    All I need is some tasty waves and a cool buzz and I'm all right.

I backhand as a hobby, I putt to pay the bills.

That's cool. I guess I really haven't checked out the park enough.

I should start going up there to toss around the disc anyways. I usually go to Joe Creason though since it's closer for me.

I had always wanted to go throw over there, especially down that huge hill but every time I had thought about it while driving by it was packed with pedestrians. Same thing with some of the big hills are Cherokee.
    All I need is some tasty waves and a cool buzz and I'm all right.

I backhand as a hobby, I putt to pay the bills.

It's funny how a few people have mentioned playing their own made up course at George Rogers Clark. Daniel and I went there once and made our own as well and it was great fun. Who knows, maybe some holes/ideas we had were similar.
    "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

Maybe when the city gets an idea of how much money comes in from the Masters they may be a bit more receptive to the idea of funding new courses.
    "That's what she said."----Michael Scott

Thread Information