Thread: fixing old discs

Hybrid View

Default fixing old discs

Does anybody know how to fix an old disc? I mean a disc with notches and big scrapes. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

How big are we talking here? I will use a pocket knife, nail clippers, and sand papper if I have something that is sharp or bothersome. If its not bad I generally don't worry about it and it will work its way smooth. If you are not carefull excessive sanding etc will make the disc illegal for PDGA play so less is best in my opinion.

Smile

Thanks! I didn't know that sanding your disc can make it illegal. Is it a weight issue or thinkness or what? I just figured that a smooth disc would travel better than one that's nicked up. I think I'll try cutting the big stuff off and sanding it smooth. Thanks again!

Taken from the online rule book:

802.01 Discs Used in Play
    A. Discs used in play must meet all of the conditions set forth in the Official PDGA Technical Standards Document. See section 805 B for disc technical standards.

B. A disc which is cracked or perforated is illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F. A disc which is cracked during a round may be carried by the player, but not used, for the balance of the tournament. The player must immediately declare his intention to carry the newly cracked or broken disc to the group or be subject to penalty under 802.01 E.

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

D. Discs must be specifically approved by the director if questioned by another player or an official, but in no case shall the disc be approved if it violates any of the above specifications. Any specifically non-approved disc (per the director) shall be considered illegal, and the player shall be penalized in accordance with 802.01 E.

E. A player who carries an illegal disc during play shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. A player who repeatedly throws an illegal disc during the round may be subject to disqualification in accordance with 804.05 A (3).

F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. After the warning has been given, each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.

Banned Users

Dude, torn up discs are some of the best flying discs out there. I would say leave it alone. I have never once in all my years playing tried to fix a disc. At best if it had a huge piece hanging off I tore off the excess plastic but that is it. Just throw it. Plastic constantly changes, so the flight will constantly change. Thats just part of the sport. The more you throw the more you will learn. So continue to throw a changing disc and it will teach you things! Or something like that....

Thread Information