Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: iq park

Default Re: iq park

1. New course - Maybe we should be talking to the state parks department instead of talking to Lou Metro. Lets get into Tom Sawyer or William Miles on Shelbyville Road. Both are state parks.
    Who would be the person that we would need to talk to to get this done?

DLG and I have already spoken to the Mgr of Tom Sawyer Park several times now. It all turns on money, he would be interested in a course if the money was in his budget to buy a course. It still may happen in the future, but not right now. We also have had a meeting with the State Dept. of Parks concerning Taylorsville Lake DGC, they know of us but it still comes down to money. I have been told there is some money earmarked for DG in the plans for the 21st Century Parks project, as soon as I know some specifics I will pass it on.

i love the old IQ but it can be trouble- some to a newbie......since otter creek is closed Meade Olin course is busy with new players, ams, and the the good ol ever day hustler we just need to remember this game is FUN for everyone, I realize that the day of pitch and putt(otter creek) are fading but I also remember the first time I birdie(2) number 13 at otter creek so we need to look Out for the new players and yes it is nice to play a course that isn't changing all the time so for all the people that keep this sport growing
    LILFATGUY

Quote Originally Posted by Aceputt
    DLG and I have already spoken to the Mgr of Tom Sawyer Park several times now. It all turns on money, he would be interested in a course if the money was in his budget to buy a course. It still may happen in the future, but not right now. We also have had a meeting with the State Dept. of Parks concerning Taylorsville Lake DGC, they know of us but it still comes down to money. I have been told there is some money earmarked for DG in the plans for the 21st Century Parks project, as soon as I know some specifics I will pass it on.

If it is money, can't the LDGC help in this capacity?
    This club stepped up to make the NACVO a premiere event. The NACVO is something all involved should be proud of, but it is for ONLY one weekend a year. A new course would be an accomplishment that can be used everyday of the year.
    The parks people have the land. This club has demonstrated its ability to raise funds. If it is only a money thing, we can get there.
    Donation, hole sponsorships, fund raising tournaments, ect.
    Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new..........Albert Einstein

I live right next to Sawyer park and would be willing to donate a lot of time there. I would even try to raise $ for a course if we could get one there.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottR
    I live right next to Sawyer park and would be willing to donate a lot of time there. I would even try to raise $ for a course if we could get one there.
    Me too!! It would be great to not have to drive 20 minutes to play.
    Thanks to my sponsor

Landscaping and Pressure Washing

Quote Originally Posted by ScottR
    Right there with you...I'm about 10 minutes from there...and about 1 minute from long run (if that could ever happen)...I would definitely make time to help get one of those two going...

Quote Originally Posted by John
    If it is money, can't the LDGC help in this capacity?
    This club stepped up to make the NACVO a premiere event. The NACVO is something all involved should be proud of, but it is for ONLY one weekend a year. A new course would be an accomplishment that can be used everyday of the year.
    The parks people have the land. This club has demonstrated its ability to raise funds. If it is only a money thing, we can get there.
    Donation, hole sponsorships, fund raising tournaments, ect.
    I understand what you're saying. But keep in mind it's primarily our title sponsor, the New Albanian Brewing Company, with the help of our other sponsor, Fade Gear, that has really make this event as large as it is. (And of course all of Jeremy's hard work)

One thing I cannot understand is why we're still talking about redesigning Iroquois.

Now don't get me wrong, when I first heard the idea years ago I gave it a lot of consideration. But lets run through the facts (as best I know them):

• 1. Metro Parks seems to move slow and from our perspective, that makes them difficult to work with. Look how long CV has been in the works and it's still not completely finished. Steve makes it sound like pulling teeth just to get a call returned from Metro Parks sometimes.

2. The funds are not available for disc golf right now. It sounds like money is coming down the pipe and will hopefully be here soon, but soon is a relative measure of time that could be anywhere between a couple months and over a year or years. And once the money arrives, it's not like a new course will be put in place a few months afterward, things take time especially good things.

3. How many courses do you know of that were designed by the father of disc golf, Steady Ed? I'm sure they're out there, but Iroquois is the only one I've played. I know Iroquois is not the most difficult course, mostly because the disc techology has changes so much since it was installed. But that doesn't mean it's not a fun course, and it's a great place for beginners to pick up the game.

So instead of changing it, lets put our effort into beautifying it. Lets make a sign proclaiming the father of disc golf came to Louisville and designed this course for us that's been here since... whenever it was installed and tell of the history here. I designed a big sign for the Fun Farm and would volunteer my skills to design one for Iroquois.

Lets show that Iroquois doesn't have to be a run down looking park if it's given some TLC. That could be a great way to show (not tell, remember actions speak louder than words) Metro Parks that the disc golf community isn't just interested in asking for handouts, we also want to give back.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

I think you are right on Adam.

a cheaper way of re-designing iriquois, that could use man hours and some good engineering upon ourselves if we are allowed to do so, would to make alternate pin locations, i could think of plenty of places to put different pins on a lot of the holes, whether they are shorter locations or longer locations, changing routes etc..(hope ya catch my drift) back home in TN at Warriors Path State Park, almost every hole had an alternate pin location, we'd mix it up each month at monthly tourneys and it was a blast, I'm sure with some thinking and the right minds we could come up with something, that way the original course is still in the ground, but you can always mix it up every once in a while.
    I leave it all to the flying Pig....
    Dave Bustetter

Thread Information