Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: iq park

Default Re: iq park

Yes it is the parks debt! Who don't want another course in Louisville! It's not as easy as a lot of people think because of the terrible parks debt we have. I'm not negative, but good luck on getting a course around here in the near future. I have worked with them for 10 years or more and they r not going to change. Too many palms to grease. That's why a lot of the little counties and places smaller get courses and we don't. We have brought up many parks like Cherokee and other parks and have been shot down. Sooo

I did not get to play the All Star tourney (wedding anniversary) Wish I could have. However I am not in favor of changing IQ parks layout. What it needs is some TLC. When was the last clean up day that you guys have had before the All Star weekend? Can't you guys plant some trees and sow some grass? Show the parks dept that you guys care about the course and they will give you another in the future Guaranteed!

If we had a Headrick design, The first thing I would do is memorialize it by adding a sign, hell maybe DGA would donate such a thing.

Disc On People

Those are some great ideas that I believe should be discuss further.

LDGC officers, is there a meeting planned anytime in the future?
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

You know, I think that is a good idea too. We should respect tradition and keep a park the way it is even though it may be considered easy for some but for the beginning disc golfer it is definitely a challange. I shoot even par there on a good day and more often than not 4 or 5 over.

Do we want to cater to 20 or 30 players in the city that can shoot 10 under or better every time they play or to the hundreds of people that come out and play casually there? The city has two courses - one beginner friendly and one that leans towards the experienced. Not to say that the either can't be played by the beginner or experienced. But the city needs a course where a new player can come and learn the game without becoming frustrated and quiting before they got started. I wouldn't still be playing if I had to learn to play at CV. I would have given up after the first day probably.

Maybe the only change that needs to happen at IQ is fixing the errosion on the hill holes until IQ finally builds their parking lot. Then we can come back and discuss adding holes up on the hill when the practice tee, 1 and 18 are taken away. Or talk about adding holes now so that we are ready when they take the holes. Just my opinion.
    Jason Van Over

I agree with Benny V. We should be proud that we have a Headrick course in town.
    I don't know how many changes have been made since its original inception. Steve
    Simpson helped with the original installation he may no more.

My biggest frustration is the lack of erosion control. Planting new trees and
    grass would also be a great addition.

So lets do it. We should come up with a list of things we'd like to do to improve the course and help control erosion. Then we can talk to the parks department about our ideas. If they let the Allstars pull all the pins out of the ground, then surely they'd work with us on this.
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

I would like to bring this up again. Unfortunately I was unable to be at the club meeting or I would have brought it up there. Scott made a comment about changing a Hedrick designed course in OH and to some degree I can see the merit in changing a course to keep up with technology. Ball golf does it often for pro tournaments. They extend holes, add bunkers, etc to make it more difficult for pros at those tournaments. But how many ball golf courses change their entire layout? When I played ball golf I played on some very nice courses and some really crappy ones and for the most part they went unchanged for decades except for some erosion control and some TLC to make the grass better or the rough better.

I think that is what IQ needs. If we want to put effort into fixing IQ why would we want to put effort into changing the whole layout? We should demonstrate to the parks department that we don't just care about playing a course, we care about caring for the course too. We should work on the erosion control, we should work on clearing out debris from storms and the work the Allstars did (which made the park look much better in my opinion by just cleaning).

I will say this again, the city needs a park like IQ for new and casual players. New and casual players can't throw a Boss or Groove or Force or any other new high speed driver any further than they can throw a Leopard or Viking or XL or to extend that further they can't throw those discs further than they can throw a putter or mid a lot of times. It is the same with ball golf. Each year new drivers or shafts or balls come out but basic ameteur players are not getting any better. Statistics in a golf magazine I used to get shows an ever increasing gap between amateur and pro handicaps since the 1960s when steel shafts started increasing in popularity. Pros keep getting better with new technology but Amateurs stay the same and have for decades. Amateurs want to use the same tech as pros but it doesn't benefit them until after they become so proficient with standard tech. It is the same with discs and plastic polymers. Sure all players get the benefit of better more durable plastic but not everyone gets the benefit of the new flight abilities.

So why do we need to redesin IQ to make it more difficult? If new and casual players can't throw over 250 feet in a straight line then who would we redesign it for? The 40-50 of us that joined LDGC or Allstars that play more than the average player and carry more discs with us at one time than most of these players will ever own? I just don't get it. We should talk the parks department into a new course that is champion caliber and ask them nicely if we can do some maintenance on IQ to make it more enjoyable so the players for the next 30 yrs can enjoy it as much as we have.
    Jason Van Over

The course needs new life in it for sure! If for some reason the parks department let's us redesign Iroquois then it's a must that it be done. You can't worry about new or beginning players and if the course is to hard for them. I wish I would have had a better course to practice on than Iroquois back in the day. Look at the Cincinnatti courses, none are like Iroquois and the beginning players there can crush it because they are pushed to be better because the course's are more challenging, not like Iroquois where you can shank it and get rewarded.

If the parks department says that IQ can be redesigned then I am all for it. I just don't think that should be the main push. I think it should be this:

1. New course - Maybe we should be talking to the state parks department instead of talking to Lou Metro. Lets get into Tom Sawyer or William Miles on Shelbyville Road. Both are state parks.
    2. Repair IQ - TLC will go a long way in fixing some holes we take for granted. New bushes, trees, mulch.
    3. Finish CV - Very playable how it is but the finishing touches are going to make it awesome
    4. Redesign IQ - New flavor on historic ground. So yes I do believe in change.

If some of the repair/erosion control of IQ is to move some baskets to move the foot traffic away from where it is currently then that should definitely be done. I'm just afraid that the parks department is going to come out and say "pull it" or "you can have 9 holes" if we are too agressive in asking for the wrong thing.
    Jason Van Over

I played Iroquois back in the early 80's and I still love it even though I only get back to Louisville once or twice a year. I wouldn't be in favor of redesigning the course. It's a classic and it's definitely a better place for people to learn the game than CV.

Thread Information