Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Day at Georgetown

Default Work Day at Georgetown

On Sunday, March 15th at 10am there's going to be a work day at Garry Cavan Park in Georgetown. There are lots of positive things happening here and this is your chance to be a part of it.

The biggest item on the agenda is to clear a completely new fairway for hole 10. This is a much needed improvement that will eliminate the current 90 foot hole and the long walk to the next pad. We also want to do some clearing on other holes creating more room to move the pad or pin back. Depending on how much we get done, we might start preparing for the additional 6 holes that will be added.

If you can bring a shovel, bow saw, loppers or any other tool to cut small trees or branches, it would be greatly appreciated. Gloves are always good idea when working outside (gotta protect your throwing hand). I'm sure extra gloves will be available, so if you don't have any it's not a big deal. There's plenty of stuff to do that doesn't require tools.

I know some people have church on Sunday and can't make it at 10am, but we encourage you to come help afterward if you can. We'll be working into the afternoon and having some people show up later will help give the early people a break. Don't worry if you can stay for the entire time, every little bit helps!

See you there!
    Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. – Carl Sagan

Default Re: Work Day at Georgetown

I canceled leagues for that week in hopes that most will show up to help.
    USE LIFE TO PROVIDE SOMETHING THAT OUTLASTS IT!!!!

Thanks for doing that Nate. I'm sorry we had to schedule it on a Sunday, but it worked out best for those directly involved.

I don't know how long we'll be working, but I wouldn't rule out playing some doubles afterward. We can see how things go and hopefully there will be so many people that no one gets too tired.

I will be there. How about having the gate opened so we can drive our vehicles back to the rear of the park and have better access to the holes needing the most work? Also, I have a chain saw. Should I bring it?
    “Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value.”

Albert Einstein

Terry, we definitely appreciate your help! If you can, please go ahead and bring your chain saw. I can think of a few places we will need one and I am not sure who if anyone else will bring one. I am looking forward to meeting you.

Thanks again!
    Jeff

I will be there. How about having the gate opened so we can drive our vehicles back to the rear of the park and have better access to the holes needing the most work? Also, I have a chain saw. Should I bring it?

More good news to report about Georgetown. Jeff and I walked the course with Brent yesterday and documented all the changes we plan to make in preparation for the work day. I'm really excited about how this course is shaping up; it's going to be a great one!

We also have a solid plan for the additional 6 holes. These holes are going to awesome, I think a couple of them could even be signature holes. The best part of the additional holes is they're basically ready to go as is, we just need to put the pin in the ground and a rubber tee mat down. We won't have the extra 6 baskets by the work day, but we can get everything ready for when we do. From what I understand, the long term plan is to finish all the changes(including the additional 6 holes), play the course some to make sure the locations of everything are good and then pour concrete pads.

I can't wait until the work day. I really hope we can get a good crowd out there and knock out a lot of these changes. A new fairway for hole 10 will be the most dramatic change, but the other changes we have planned are going to make a big impact on this course as well.

I hope you can come be a part of it!

glad to see everyone showing gtown some love. i will be there on the workday as long as two other locals i play with who are not on the website. hope we can have it all ready for the new pins to be stuck in after next sunday. i am oh..... so ready for concrete to be poured.

Sorry guys I will be at the harbin rat tourney.

The work day is approaching and I'm more excited about this course now than ever!

If you've been out here in the last couple months you've seen the incredible progress. Some of the worst holes (like 2, 8, 11 and 12) have been transformed into some nice holes. There are more great changes scheduled and I really hope we can get a good sized group and show the Parks Department how strong the disc golf community is. If you have church Sunday morning, please consider coming out afterward. That would be so helpful in giving others a break so we can get done faster and get a round in.

The work day is almost here, please come help if you can. See you on Sunday!

Thread Information