Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming soon in Taylorsville Lake State Park

Default Coming soon in Taylorsville Lake State Park

Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves. Carl Sagan

Default Re: Coming soon in Taylorsville Lake State Park

This is very exciting news! I knew it was coming, but I was not exactly sure when the news would break to all of the local players. It is not 100%, but the chances are looking really good. It was Mike Waits and myself that went out to Charlie Vettiner and played a round of disc golf with the local government officials from Taylorsville. It was there that we ran into Steve Simpson and the ball started rolling from that point. I have set in on several of the meeting and there is a ton of potential for this course. I have confidence that this will be one of, if not, the best course in the state. The land is amazing, and we all know that Dave Greenwell can design a quality course.

My hat goes off to Mike. I got him playing a short time ago and he has been pushing for this course every since. If it were not for him, there would not even be a discussion of a course in Taylorsville.

Jeff

This has been a roller coaster week. Great news!!!

Ok, now that the word is out, it's true. Dave and I have had several meetings at T-ville Lake State Park over the last two months. I ran into Rik Downs and his party at CV and Rik grabbed me to join in because he was trying to sell this guy on a DG course for Spencer County. (I have known Rik for 30 yrs. He and I formed the original Louisville Frisbee disc Club in 1979.) From there it was off and running. I recommended Dave to design the course and we have been working on this project since. I have committed the LDGC for volunteer labor to help in the installation, so when the time comes we will really need to step up. Believe me, it will be worth it. Dave and I have walked the area for a total of about 10 to 11 hours getting used to the lay of the land and keying in on where the parking lot, et al will be. This is not a done deal yet. But I feel pretty good about it. It is possible that if all goes well, it might be in the ground by next fall. IF all goes well. If this does happen, be prepared for a challenging course with a great mix of holes. Hopefully, it will work out to be two courses, but we will see. Keep your fingers crossed.

Great news indeed, awesome job to those involved so far!
    Orc / Vision / Predator / Teebird / TL / Condor / Roc / Stingray / Voodoo

huh! who would have thunk-it. hopeful for the future and looking forward to it.

ed-dro
    HitchHiking Across The Galaxy

LDGC Public Relations

sweet - looks like i need to move towards southeastern louisville

35 minutes from a idlewild or better level course? i'm all about that...

All of us disc golfers and sports enthusiasts in Spencer County are just as excited about this! Thanks are in order for all who have been involved in this from the beginning to see this thing through. We don't have full approval yet but we're working on it. We go to the state this month for their permission and then the Army Corps (hopefully) next month for final approval. If all goes well we hope to break ground in the summer. Stay tuned here for updates: http://www.spencercodiscgolf.blogspot.com
    Possum Ridge Disc Golf Club, Spencer County, KY.
    http://www.spencercodiscgolf.blogspot.com

On Monday, Dec. 29th, we met with state officials in Frankfort to discuss our plans for a future disc golf course in Spencer County.

We were pleased to have been able to meet with the representatives for the state and parks system and greatly valued the time they gave to us. The presentation was given to discuss the impact a disc golf course could have in the local park system, local economy, community, and disc golfers within as much of 50 miles radius and greater. We also focused on why the Possum Ridge location of the Taylorsville Lake State Park is the best location to put in 2 - 18 hole disc golf courses at a professional level and why we believe this will be one of the many major attractions to this State Park.

At the close of the meeting we were told they would be meeting with us within 30 days but we are hopeful to hear something from them before that time. It's not too late to send them a letter explaining why you believe adding a disc golf course to the Taylorsville Lake State Park is a great idea. As Magistrate Bill Drury once said, "Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it!"

Also I'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you in advance to the LDGC. Yesterday Steve Simpson, your fearless president, gave us a letter of support from the LDGC for volunteer work at the upcoming course. Your volunteering is greatly appreciated and will be needed in order to see this course completed and playable in a reasonable time frame. Steve & I look forward to partnering the two clubs together to see that the Possum Ridge Disc Golf Course becomes and remains one of the absolute best disc golf courses around.

~possum
    Possum Ridge Disc Golf Club, Spencer County, KY.
    http://www.spencercodiscgolf.blogspot.com

Thread Information