Thread: Disc For Younger Players

Default Disc For Younger Players

My eight year old daughter has been watching me in the back yard while I practice my putting. She has been showing alot of interest and asking a ton of questions in general. I showed her how to hold the disc and let her putt some. When it was time to go in she said "I wish I had my own bag and some disc." So I'm thinking about getting her some for Christmas now. I know 150 class and lower is better for new players but I am not sure which class is better for her age group. Anyone out there have any pointers?
    Orc / Vision / Predator / Teebird / TL / Condor / Roc / Stingray / Voodoo

Default Re: Disc For Younger Players

150g Aviars, Rocs, and Leopards are a GREAT start.
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

I would almost suggest a 150 Wolf instead of the Roc. I found Rocs hard to learn (that is why I throw a Buzzz) and the 150 Roc that I had wasn't very predictable. I know, probably not the most important thing for an 8 yr old is predictibility. I think I have a 150 Valk. that I can give her though. If she doesn't want it, you could throw it. It goes far with little effort.
    Jason Van Over

Banned Users

Well lets start with saying any 150 class will work. She really needs to try anything she can, discs work differently for people depending on their style. Also you need to hook up with our resident JR.He is Michael Ohlman and is 11 years old. Just last weekend at Iroquois he stuck it to about 10 or 12 adults in the RECREATIONAL division and cahed in 5th place. He could most likely teach her all kinds of stuff. Plus he has pretty much graduated to the ranks of the low 160 class, so he has several 150 class discs that she could have. Let me know when you could bring her out and I will try and get Michael out to give her some pointers. That is as long as he isn't at scouts.

i have to agree that any 150 class disc will do. by the way you don't have to stick with innova, so the names don't matter. the best thing to do is to just throw. michael started with whatever he had and trust me they were not 150 class.

Cool, thanks for all of the replies guys! She wants to try a course but I think it is better if she just gets a feel for things in my parents back yard since it is larger than ours. I'm afraid that she might get discouraged if she goes right to a course and not want to play again. I told her that we would spend some time just throwing at her grandparents and now she wants to spend the weekend over there. I let her throw my beat in 179g roc and it landed under the basket from 10-15ft away. Right after that she said I think I'll have one of those.
    Orc / Vision / Predator / Teebird / TL / Condor / Roc / Stingray / Voodoo

when you do take her to a course make sure it is a smaller one. younger disc golfers do feel intimidated at larger courses like cv, but actually like to play at otter creek. the holes are shorter and even bad shots aren't really all that bad. i started michael playing at six years old and i think it's easier for them to pick up the game at that age. my youngest is now six and we will probably be bringing him out a little more, if he wants to.

Thread Information