Thread: Richmond Course

Default Richmond Course

Has anyone played the course in Richmond? I will be going there for work in 2 weeks and will be playing after work each day. I would like to get directions and pointers if possible.
    Jason Van Over

Default Re: Richmond Course

I'm going to Richmond this week and I am going to try to drive to Lexington to play one night. I will probably only have time to play one course if I can make it. What is the best course to play in Lexington?
    Jason Van Over

Well, if you want deuce or die, then Shillito is your course. It's well designed and a good course. Veteran's is heavily wooded and much tougher. Weeds can be high. Riney B (in Nicholasville) is the newest course and is still being worn in. They're constantly improving it, but it's got a ways to go. It's long and pretty tough. Good play, though.
    Daniel

My putter still doinks harder than yours!

Play Shillito if you want to have some fun!

I would agree, Shillito is a great course that lends itself to shooting well.

I got to play the "front" 9 holes of the Richmond course today. They put together a pretty neat course. 5 of the 9 were anny holes. There are 9 teepads to 18 baskets. The "front" 9 are yellow and the "back" 9 are red. Back 9 are further and what appears to be tougher pin placements. It seems to be a good use of the land but there were a couple of holes that were under 200 ft with tight placements in trees and some wooded 300 ft par 4s. I shot even so it couldn't be that tough for the front but I am going back tomorrow to finish and see how it goes. I did lose 1 disc (167g Flick)that I am hoping to recover tomorrow. There was a group way behind me but I'm hoping they didn't find it because it was getting dark.

I might save the gas and just keep playing here. I was pretty much by myself and got to take as much time as much time as I wanted.

Some other highlights:
    1. It is in a bird sanctuary. On each tee sign is a description of a bird to look for.
    2. There is a visual aid for the different types of poison ivy at the first hole
    3. All of the baskets are innova baskets with the band at the top (can't remember the name)
    4. Nicely marked walking paths with direction arrows to the next tee although one had a tree across it that I had to crouch under to get to the next hole.

I don't think I would drive to come play here specifically but I would definitely play it again if I were driving by Richmond. It's about 3-5 miles down the Eastern Bypass from exit 87.
    Jason Van Over

I finished playing the course yesterday. If playing the course as all 3's then I ended at +4. They have a lot of posted 4's and 5's that I wouldn't consider them that. I took a 6 on the par 5 so that is where 3 of my strokes came from. I'm curious if the course builder referenced the pdga par guidelines to determine par. Any way, like I said, it is a fun course with a lot of anny shots and variety of other wooded and open shots. It is definitely worth stopping by if you are driving past Lexington.
    Jason Van Over

Thread Information