Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tennis Elbow

Default Tennis Elbow

I may have tennis elbow, has anyone else experienced this? What helps it?

Default Re: Tennis Elbow

Ed McGovern would be a good one to talk to.
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

I used to lift weights pretty seriously about 15 years ago and got miserable tennis elbo in my right elbo. I was used to working through pain in sports but this kept getting worse. I finally went to the doctor and he said tennis elbo is an enflamed tendon that runs along the elbo. He gave me anti-inflamatories (strong ibuprofens) and said to back off any activity that causes the pain until it subsides. I quit lifting heavy and just went to lighter weights and more reps. Good luck Brandon, I know it hurts!

I have experienced this for years, so bad at times I could not even lift my arm to shift my car. I feel for you. It's not fun.

There are compresses that fit around the forearm, just below the elbow that really help with this. Should cost less than $10 at Wal Mart. Bub is right, doping up on NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) like ibuprofen, aleve, etc., will help while out on the course. Really, the main thing to do is to stop doing what is causing it and give it time (a week or two at least) to rest and heal.

For me, this always happened when I wasn't throwing forehand with proper technique. When I cleaned up my technique, it went away, FWIW.
    Daniel

My putter still doinks harder than yours!

That is why I stopped thowing forhand/sidearm. I finally blew-up my elbow at the otter creek tournament and went to the doctor the following week. Basically the same as everyone else has said. Stop the activity for a couple of weeks, IBs (I was prescribed 3 200mg tablets 3X a day with each meal) and a brace with a "pillow" from wal-mart. The little pillow thing is key. The brace by itself doesn't really do all that is needed. The little pillow puts pressure on the correct tendons. Either on top of the forearm or under the forearm. Good luck.
    Jason Van Over

Hey Jason,

That's what I meant when I said that for me, when I corrected my technique, my tennis elbow went away. Also, those things from Wal Mart put pressure both on top and on the bottom of the forearm. (It wraps around and "squeezes" the forearm by being a "U" shaped peice of plastic.)
    Daniel

My putter still doinks harder than yours!

I don't think that I have ever seen the U-shaped braces. I have seen the strip that wrap around and then double back and velcro to make a complete loop. That's is what I was talking about was the strip but has a little pocket to slide the pillow thing into. The strip by itself doesn't put pinpoint pressure on any tendon, it just squeezes the whole forearm. I will go and check out the u-shape one the next time I'm in there.
    Jason Van Over

Thanx guys I'll have to check them out. I think the reason for this happening has to do with my follow through. I been droping my elbow through my swing, so says Mick. Also I beleive throwing a destroyer with bad form gives the disc a good meaning to its name cause thats what its doing to my elbow. I don't have enough arm speed anymore to throw one and when I shank it its tearing up my elbow. Players beware... if you ain't got the armspeed disc down,it won't go far if you can't throw it. I'm going back to speed 10 discs...starfires, starfireLs, beasts and orcs.Thats were its at for me.

Welcome back to my world Brandon, the club is groing!!

Sorry to hear about your elbow Brandon. Mine's been acting up also, I don't think it's tennis elbow, but it's almost like I overextend it. When I snap a solid putt it's hurts also. I think it's mainly due from playing like crazy recently I hope. With the bg ams coming up, I'm just gonna fight through it and kick some serious smurf this weekend
    Can't wait!
    the 502 needs to represent this weekend
    Thanks to my sponsor

Landscaping and Pressure Washing

Thread Information