Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meeting with Parks Dept

Default Meeting with Parks Dept

We had our meeting with the Metro Parks yesterday and I wanted to keep the membership informed on the results of same. I think we made real progress, we are going to involve the LDGC in the "Adopt a Park" program but ours will be more of an Adopt a Course Plan. To begin, CV will be completed hopefully before the CV Open. That means all bridges and message board etc. I think we will be able to have a grand opening ceremonies with the Mayor and press coverage to open the tourny, and try to get some major coverage for the event. We will be walking the course with some of the Parks officials soon to lay out plans to get everything done, and the club members will be involved with helping get the work done. We made it plain to the dept that they need to USE us as volunteer labor to help maximaize their dollars and help stretch their budget, so we really need to have a strong showing when the call goes out for workers to help build bridges and other projects. We will go with the big bridge on hole 3 and it looks as if they will allow us to build wooden bridges around hole 14 and between 15 and 16. I think they are going to go towards Holes 1 thru 11 being ADA accessable and 12 thru 18 as not ADA ready. I believe we will have CV ready by the tourny. We will also be walking the IQ course with parks people to discuss what area of the park we might be able to use when we move some holes around. The course WILL be changed, it will all depend on what land is avaliable for us to use and what the final plan will be with MSD, and their plans to improve drainage around the pond. We will still have to wait awhile before we can begin to finalize what is going to happen with IQ, but we have their attention, and right now there are no plans to pull the course. We will also be making a trip out to Long Run Park to lay out our future plans for a new course out there. It looks as if that will be the location for a new course when it comes, and I believe it will come, in the hopefully near future. For now, we will concentrate on getting CV finished and then we direct our efforts to getting IQ plans finalized, and start pushin for a new course. I feel that we have re-established a good working relationship with Metro Parks, and I have every confidence that these things will get done. We have the ball rolling in the right direction, now the club will need to be prepared to stand up and make good on the promises that I made when it comes time to "Get R Done". We met with them for about 2 hours and DLG and I left with a good feeling about what we got done. I think we will start to see the results very soon now. Your club leaders ARE getting the job done and we will need the members to stand tall when the time comes. You guys asked for it , now your going to get it!

Default Re: Meeting with Parks Dept

This all sounds fantastic. Let's get it done!!!

Great news! Thanks, guys! Way to "get the ball rolling"

now thats what ive wanted to hear! awesome job President Simpson and DLG! THANK YOU!
    NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH
    Bryan Sparrow #38827

Long Run Park is going to be "SWEET"!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad to see IQ will be changed. However I thought nobody wanted it to get changed except for a few people.
    I'm curious as to what changed everyones mindset so quickly???

I don't remember any big problem with changing IQ. It was just a matter of what we might have to do. We always knew that changes were going to be made because of the ampatheatre. The parking lot IS going to expand over the first tee and the 18th hole. And MSD IS going to do work on the drainage in and around the pond. That was always a given. The problem was, we couldn't pin anybody down to get any answers. I have been trying to deal with this for a little over a year. I should say all the club officers have been active in trying to get these things resolved since we took over a pretty much shattered, disspirited group known as the LDGC. At the same time, the Metro Parks Dept was going through a transition, with the new Metro Govt and a change of leadership in the head office. We have had club officers present at numerous meetings concerning parks matters just to keep us in the minds of those in charge and to build a relationship with the new guys in charge. They now know us on sight, and we are on a pretty much first name basis. I think we have turned the corner and we are getting some movement. We will be on the course at CV within 2 weeks and point out what is needed to get everything finished. CV is our first priority, and I do believe that we can have the Grand Opening at the CV tourny in May. We will have to get a couple of people to go through Parks Dept training and be certified to work with power tools like chain saws etc in order to meet their regulations. This is real progress! I tried to tell everybody to just give us a little time and it would all work out,well now it's up to us. Now is the time when we have the chance to show what we can do. We have to show the Metro Parks that we are a credible force that can be used to help maximize their budget dollar. In the same line of thought, we have to be committed to act as professional as possible. Don't do something on the course without thinking, pick up your trash or pick up one or two pieces of trash along the way. Each little thing done, multiplied by many players will make a big differance. And another big thing to remember for those who might do other things on the course, BE DISCREET! We don't need to add to an already "smokey" reputation if you know what I mean. We will also be walking IQ with a member of the Olhmstead Conservatory to get an idea of what we can plan on for IQ. It will all come down to how much land they give us to work with, That's all we know at this time. I will be on vacation from the 9th thru the 16th, I hope to play in some local league play in Palm Beach on the 10th. I will also be playing the two courses in Ft Lauderdale. Also, I have sent a letter in to Roosters about forming a partnership with DG in this city. I hope something comes from it. We will be having other meetings there, we all had a good time at the last meeting.

Great job Steve and DLG!
    Jason Van Over

Is there any chance of getting the course back up on top of IQ or any holes up there??? Who is going to be in charge of changing holes? It should be a group effort with the people who play there most often.

I don't really believe in a "group" effort, most of the time that ends up being one big cluster "smurf". We have the qualified people that I believe can make the best use of whatever land made avaliable to us. Nothing will shoved down anybodys throat, but you can't design a good course by committee.

Thread Information