Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat Panel tv's

Default Flat Panel tv's

Does anyone out there know anything about Flat Panel TV's??? I'm looking to join the modern age and have no idea on what is better plasma or LCD. I also have no clue on all the specs, what is good to have and what is not. I'm trying to stay under $2,000.00 if at all possible, can someone inlighten me please???

Default Re: Flat Panel tv's

This guy I work with is in to all that stuff, and he keeps up with the rankings of all that electronics in magazines. He said the Pioneer-Plasma is ranked one of the best out there. I don't know much about it. Goodluck.

1080p LCD would be my first choice but a cheaper alternative would be a 1080p DLP. People say flat panel all the time but they may just mean a flat tv. Are you wanting to hang it on the wall? LCD would be the choice then.

The new law that is making cable companies change their broadcast to HD by next Feb is going to be 720p.

Do not buy a tv that ends with an (i) like 720i or 1080i The i stands for interlaced. Interlaced means that every other line of the screen refreshes and then the other lines refresh. The every-other refreshing is called interlacing. A 1080i is the same thing as a 720p.

The p stands for progressive scan. Refer to the following wikipedia article. It has some technical mumbo jumbo but it pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

The future is 1080p since HD DVD and BluRay is using 720p but has already started making dvds in 1080p. Also XBOX 360 and PS3's are using it too.

I don't know what size you are looking at but my dad bought a 1080p LCD 60" for less than $2000. He shopped around a lot. For less hassle you can go to sams and get a 61in DLP for 1800. There are pros and cons for each so it will become a matter of preference.

Plasmas have not come down in price like LCD and DLP tvs. The technology is still expensive to produce because it is done with plasma gas in small chambers. LCD and DLP use microchips and mirrors which are easier to manufacture.

Hope this helps.
    Jason Van Over

"The new law that is making cable companies change their broadcast to HD by next Feb is going to be 720p"

The new law states that broadcasters (over the air stations) will have to change thier signal from analog to digital, not HD.
    Market conditions will however dictate a surge in HD programing.
    Most all over the air stations now have a seperate digital channel now.

1080i is slightly better than 720p.

1080p is twice as good as 1080i. There are limited sources that can deliver 1080p content. Blue ray, HD DVD and your upper teir gaming consoles. You can be assured that this will change to include many future technologies.

You will also need to consider the speed in mghz. 120 now is the high standard.

I have a 1080i LCD. For the most part it is outstanding. I have noticed differences in network feeds of HD. NBC is far and away the worst in terms os sports programming. I have heard this from plasma owners as well as DLP owners.
    There is no better nfl tv experience than watching it in HD.
    Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new..........Albert Einstein

Thanks for the info guys. I have been looking for a new TV. I may wait until later in the
    year.

Best Buy- 1300$ for a 42"

I was gonna say BestBuy, too. I got a decent deal a little over a year ago from them on an LCD flat panel. A 32" for about $900. They've gotten even cheaper since. But I also shopped the store and went for the "display" for the discount. Turned out they agreed to sell the display but then for some reason, they gave me one still in the box As far as LCD vs plasma? Plasma was more expensive and they have gases inside which may lead to replacement sooner being more fragile, I guess. And my HD pic is GREAT on the LCD! Quality wise, I don't have a clue what makes them "better", the plasma screens over LCD.

Should also try Sears Essentials on Dixie. It use to be a K-Mart. The prices there are real good. My Sony there was $1240 two years ago when elsewhere they were $1900 and up.
    Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new..........Albert Einstein

I got a 32" LCD flat panel TV about a year ago for under $600 and I love it! It's great watching sports on HD, and you will find yourself watching movies you've already seen just because it's in HD. I got mine at HH Gregg.

I've also heard lcd's are easier to watch at an angle / from the side than plasmas. Might be a consideration if any seating is not dead on. I've got a Sony lcd and it's the tits. I hear Samsung are really nice also for the dollar. I would definately get 1080p though. You'll regret it in a couple years if ya don't.
    Thanks to my sponsor

Landscaping and Pressure Washing

Thread Information