Thread: Disc Speed......

Default Disc Speed......

Last weekend I ran into a guy at Iroquois who had a Radar Gun. I ended up letting him clock me for 5 throws........
    Crystal Buzzz = 52mph
    Elite X Wasp =52mph
    Elite Z Wildcat = 53mph
    Elite Z XL = 53 mph
    Champion TeeBird = 53mph

So here is my question?
    Why is there only 1 mph difference between a midrange and a driver?
    The gun is recording disc speed not arm speed.
    On the other hand the other two fellas weren't as consistent with there throws. One guy was between 33mph and as high as 56 mph. The guy with the gun was more in the lower 40's on every shot. So with that being said can anyone give me a logical explanation for the slight difference?
    Also does this effect your game in any way? Meaning would someone throwing higher speeds have an advantage over someone throwing slower.

Basically just give me some ideas as to what you think.
    This might be a good ? for the engineer Jeremy!!!!!!

I will throw in my 2 cents even though I am new to the game. I do however have 10 years engineering experience in quality and manufacturing so I will give it a go.

The different style of golf discs are roughly equivilant to different styles of ball golf clubs. In ball golf you have different club head angles to change the trajectory of the ball which changes the distance. In disc golf you have different aerodynamics of the disc to change the distance. The drag accross the disc is what would be the the determining factor on speed and therefore distance. I also reference and study by JR Potts & WJ Crowther that can be found on Discwing.com called AIAA 2002-3150 Frisbee(tm) Aerodynamics which sites various approaches to determine how a disc even flies. Without getting too much into it the study goes through flight dynamics in wind tunnels, etc. Anyway the slight difference for you, being the experience player, was the type/style of disc. I am guessing the gun was measuring from 5-10 feet from you after release and there for the drag on the disc was not significant yet. Your arm speed, again being an experience player, was consistant where the others were not.

As for arm speed. It should make a difference in overall length. As an example, you can give a brand new player 4 discs. 1 mid, 1 putter, 2 drivers. All four would probably go within 10 feet of each other IF they all went straight because the arm speed and technique was not consistant. Again, an experienced player would release with the same arm speed and the same 4 discs would go the different distance you would expect. Another reference to ball golf - Pro golfers have a much higher swing speed then your average local golfer and their average drives over the last 25 plus years have been at least 100 yards longer even though they use the EXACT same equipment. And actually the average ball drive has been steadily increasing over the last 50 years for pros even the it has remained remotely the same for amatuers. The same should be true for disc golf. The faster the release and less drag on the disc (ie drivers) the further the disc should go.
    Jason Van Over

Well, youíre throwing similar weighed (with in a gram or 10 Iím sure), similar shaped objects. There would be, essentially, VERY little difference in the speed of the disc NEAR the point of release. How long each disc would MAINTAIN itís speed would be the major difference between the mid range and the long range drivers. Obviously, the beveled edged driver will have more wind resistance and maintain itís speed longer than the mid range which has a blunt edge that slows it down faster.

If you threw one driver 53mph and one driver 52mph over 400í feet the faster disc would arrive at itís target nearly a 1/10 of a second faster than the slower disc IF it maintained a speed of 53mph over the course of itís journey (which it would NOT).

If two people with identical forms were capable of throwing the exact same way but one could achieve a higher speed at the point of release that player would be able to throw further than the other. But then disc selection would be key because the higher speed thrower would be torquing everything over. That would be the ONLY benefit that I can think of.
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

Sorry...hadn't read what Jason said. I agree obviously.
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

Hey right on!!!!!!!!
    Damn you got love SMART people.
    I never was very high up on the learning pole. However im very mechanically inclined. If it were aerodynamics on a car I couldn't tell you crap, but I could build you a motor fast enough to scratch the whole aerodynamic theory.

I do see what the both of you are saying. I never gave two thoughts about it slowing over its flight path. Therefore making the Mids fall shorter than drivers.
    You both threw in some really good points!!!!!!!!
    Thanx!!!!!

Thread Information