Thread: Useful Tips!?!

Default Useful Tips!?!

What's the most useful piece of advise that you've been given in regaurds to disc golf? I'm thinking if we each post some of the most useful advise we've been given we'll have a great archive of tips and knowledge. Here are a few tips I've been given that have been the most effective.

Ken Climo's advise of releasing your putt with quite a bit of hyzer angle to eliminate misses on the right side of the basket has been VERY effective.

Dave Greenwell once advised me to keep everything SLOW except my arm. This slowed my footwork down and increased my distance and accuracy. He also told me to act as if I'm elbowing my target. This helped me achive the proper height in my angle of release.

Ken Reed and I were playing doubles one day against Butter and someone else at OCP. We were on #13 and I had thrown my hook thumb route over the trees and we ended up taking my drive as I had landed about 50 feet left, pin high. I had only been play for about a year and hitting 50 foot putts was not a common task for me. I threw the putt first and missed. Ken then lined up and drained the putt with out hardly a moments thought. So I asked "How'd you do that?" He simply replied, "It's NOT that hard." I feel like that was one of the greatest lessons I've ever recieved in this game. Everytime before I putt I usually mumble or at the least think to myself..."It's not that hard." It reminds me to relax and breath and throw it in because it's really not that hard.
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

Default ...

The most helpfull tip I got was to stare at a link on the basket or the orange spot "wish all baskets had em". This tricks your brain into reaching at what your looking at. it is possible to hit that exact spot everytime. Before you do this tell yourself to dig down deep and your putting will get better. Something I've been working on myself for the last year is to always face the basket or target your aiming at, at the end of your follow through. with the exception of throwin all out distance this has increased my accuracy alot. You basically want to learn how to rotate your body around your head while it stays in a fixed position. Climo is probably the best in the world at doing this you can see it clearly in his throws.

Throwing an overstable disc with a fudge of anhyzer for added distance and a straighter shot is defiantly one that helped me. Ol' Golfer taught me this several years ago.

Jeremy's advice to re-do my X-Step was another big plus. That actually helped my game more than anything.

Jeremy also taught me a fan grip when putting. That was the start of many better days to come. Had it not been for that I wouldn't be even close to where I am right now. That really got the ball rolling on the putting. Once I figured that out everything else has just kinda fell into place. Also as far as what Jeremy said about it being easy, that is no doubt the truth. The more I think the crappier I putt. Ive almost gotten to the point that I will walk up grab the disc and putt almost immediately. The less I think the better I putt.

Brandon's Staring at a link is another real good tip. Ive done this all along anyways. Over the years I have gotten to where I get my focus in just a split second. I learned that when I was pitching at age 13. It works well for just about anything you throw. Plus this also comes in handy on your drives. Find an object in the distance and aim at it till it blurs. You'd be amazed at how you can trick yourself.

Throwing a thumber out of the rough through trees to the right so that the disc hits and stops instantly was one that Dave Greenwell taught me. That shot alone has saved me from many a bogey. I would explain the shot a little better if I could. Its just one of those things you have to see to believe. It also works real well on shots like #11 @ Iroquois if you use a really overstable disc.

Default ...

Righty, that road sign on your avatar is hilarious

You know it!!!
    I'm always down for a points system.....
    It just isn't any fun running people down if you don't get points for it!!!!!!

Slow feet fast arm.
    Always look at your target on shorter shots
    Stare at the link and keep your shoulder under your chin while putting
    Have fun!!
    Don't litter!

Drive for Show, Putt for Dough
    Practice in a field (get to know your plastic)
    Aim for a Duece miss with an Ace. (it means aim for a landing area next to the basket instead of actually aiming for the ace/basket.)
    Breath out when your putting/driving (listen to Butter when he putts)
    Practice makes Permanent (nobody is perfect)
    after you finished a hole, look back towards the tee you just threw from and look for things you did not see while driving. (DLG advice)
    If you are new, Try understable plastic for more distance.

and last but not least - If you have kids, plan on losing some rating points...lol.

If everbody remembers the tips you were givin by all that responded, you WILL become a better golfer.

There is a real nice video on Discrafts website about Long putting (around 100 ft).

They give you 2 different ways to approach it......
    Jump putt, and Throwing........

Im really impressed with Ron Russells approach. It fits my style better than a jump putt does. I almost putt that way anyways outside of 50 or 60 ft.

Id include a link if i could, im just not smart enough to know how!!

Thread Information