Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Custom dyed discs?

Default Re: Custom dyed discs?

The reason that I said that you couldn't dye DX plastic was because I tried it and the dye didn't take after about 20 hours of sitting in dye. When it did finally take after about 48 hours it looked faded. I think you are better off using colored sharpies on dx then wasting all that time with a disc in dye. Just my 2cents. Maybe different runs of dx and ProD takes dye differently but I didn't want to waste that many days trying to find one that did.
    Jason Van Over

Well I could definitely understand how different runs could take differently. You can feel subtle difference in the plastics. I've only done Innova, so I can only verify them, but Aviars, Coyotes, Wolfs, Wraiths, and Beasts have all taken for me so far and I've never had one sit in a single color dye for more than 15 minutes. I'm using the powder rit dye in a 5 quart pot and heating it on the stove at the 2 level on the dial and then removing it and placing the disc on top. The darker the disc the more it seems to look faded once dyed, but all of the light colored ones are taking black dyes excellently.

I have noticed that a white disc doesn't like blue very well - it comes out almost too dark to tell but it does take red and black very well. The only reason we're dying DXs is because me and my friends I go with just started about 3 months ago and are still learning. We all plan on moving up in disc grade at some point, but for the Stars/Champs we do have we don't want to ruin them with an ugly dye. We're still dye noobs too. Alot of ours are tie dyed already which makes a dye on top sort of pointless too.

Well keep it up. You should post pics of your dyes when you get some done. I personally would like to see yours and some more local people doing their own dyes. Brian Pait does some too. I'm working on one right now for Jeremy that looks like the avatar that Little Galluser (Keith) has. It's Jeremy's company logo.

BTW Jeremy, I started cutting again. Got a CE Leopard from Martin so I think I'm back to the original agreement.
    Jason Van Over

If you like to dye and havn't checked out the forums at DGCR I would take a look. They set up a section for dying found here http://http://www.dgcoursereview.com...y.php?f=25. They post some sweet dyes and answer questions about dying there. Check out vettekrazy's stuff while your there, he has posted some very nice work on the boards.
    Orc / Vision / Predator / Teebird / TL / Condor / Roc / Stingray / Voodoo

HOLY CRAP! those are really awesome discs! this seems like it would be a very difficult process, but i would love to have my own customs like those. the captain america is my favorite, and the watchmen is even more of a great idea now. makes for a cool disc also.

Thread Information