Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom dyed discs?

Wait until you see the GetEmWet Racing stamp I'm going to get him to do!!!! Not as detailed as the Team Throw, but still sweet!!!! Go Team GetEmWet.

My cheerleaders are cutier than Jeremys(Eric and Keith G)!!!!
    USE LIFE TO PROVIDE SOMETHING THAT OUTLASTS IT!!!!

So are you still calling us cute Nate? And who are your cheerleaders?
    Eric Gallusser

here's one not as good as your's:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DISC-GOLF-INNOVA-CH ... dZViewItem
    Daviesscountydiscgolfclub.webs.com

I like it. Mine is just a more famous rip off.
    Jason Van Over

Default Re: Custom dyed discs?

Hey guys, I figured out a pretty easy way to do detailed dyes without masking. I used paper, a charcoal pencil, liquid RIT dye, and a fine-tipped paintbrush. To remove the stamp on the green disc I used a Scotch-Brite pad with soap and water. I don't remember what I used for the yellow disc.

First you print off or sketch out a picture of what you want on your disc. Then trace over it with a dark color (pen or marker) so you can see the image from the back of the paper. Now, on the backside of the paper use a charcoal pencil to trace the image (it will be flipped, like in a mirror). You should press firmly to make sure you get a lot of charcoal on the trace marks. Now grab your disc and press the paper against it, charcoal side down, being careful not to shift the paper. I held the paper in place with one hand and used my other hand to rub over where the image was. This will transfer the charcoal image (in its original orientation) onto your disc. Now all you have to do is trace over the charcoal image with your dye and wait for it to dry.

[attachment=1:3tj4acl9]Xcaliber_char._and_dye.JPG[/attachment:3tj4acl9]

I let these two dry overnight and then rinsed them with cold water. The dye does not come out as dark as some i have seen done with an acetone/dye mixture, but I'm sure you could use the acetone/dye mixture with a paintbrush and get darker results.

[attachment=0:3tj4acl9]DSCN1945.jpg[/attachment:3tj4acl9]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Jason

Let's go throw some plastic.

I have pictures from the 03 and 04 icebowls at OCP and Muldraugh when it snowed like crazy. That was a lot of fun out there those days.

I have been dyeing discs for years. Rit dye works the best from what I have found because it doesnt add any thickness to the discs and therefore makes them legal for play in tourneys as well as your casual round. I am trying to figure out how some of the dyes that you find on ebay our done. It amazes me the clean lines they are getting. Any thoughts?

Yes, 2 reasons that I know for sure because I have asked the people that do it professionally.
    1: They use vinyl cut on a plotter - That is the only way to get straight lines. I cut mine free hand with an exacto, and it works pretty well, and then transfer over to the plastic. The open area of the vinyl gets dyed. I cut vinyl on a light board. I tape the pattern down, tape vinyl over top of the pattern, turn off the overhead light and turn on the light board. I work in the dark for the most part. The Darth Vader took about 1 hour to cut. The Captain America Shield took about 10 minutes. The smiley face with the blood drop took about 1 hour but I could probably do it faster now. Keith's throw disc took about 25 hours total. That is why I have been hesitant to do more but I am working on a disc for Nate right now.
    2: They use a dye made for plastic - Dyed discs from a factory are put on a spinner and drops of the special dye gets dropped on it and as it spins the disc is dyed. They don't use Rit. Discs that are dyed by Widye and other dye places have found the appropriate dye to use. It is a liquid dye that you can also add to plastic prior to molding to change the color of the pellets. You can contact a plastic company and they can tell you. You can try Widye but he didn't tell me.

Good luck. Also look at the ODSA.com message board in the general topics forum. There is about 100 pages of dyes on there. That is where I picked up a lot of information.
    Jason Van Over

Awesome Jason! Thanks for the info.I have been using the free hand cut method as well. I will try to get some pics of the ones I have done on the board soon. Let me know the next time you are going to be dyeing discs. I would love to lend you some help if you would like. I have some images that I would like to do but am having difficulty in cutting them. Would like your expertise.

Alot of people are saying you cannot dye DX discs which isn't true. For the most part the stamping process is different and creates more troubles which is where this comes from - it's not as easy so they give up. The colors aren't as "true" either as you see in champion and star, but for a plain black dye or a white disc with any die it's quite alright.

The stamps are raised on a DX, unlike the others, and it's actually a stamp on a stamp to create a boxed lettering 3D type effect/outline on alot of the discs. Acetone generally only takes the color off (if it's a colored foil) and this top layer, leaving a significant outline of the stamp clearly visible. Many other people have posted such things as a Brillo pad with extensive water and soap usage working - but that's abusive to the disc and could seriously affect flight patterns or even make it illegal. I have tried tons of chemicals and nothing has worked. However, Arm and Hammer Magic Erasers are a flipping gift from heaven.

Use acetone to take the ink and top foil off cleanly. Once removed and rinsed off, take a magic eraser and rinse it and just give it a light scrubbing. I'm sure this is working as an abrasive, but I honestly cannot tell a difference between where I used the eraser and where I've used the acetone. I've read many things saying acetone removes a finish off the disc and I have to agree that the eraser does the same thing. I've yet to try a disc totally with the eraser as I think it's just a waste of energy and and an eraser, but I believe it may be possible. May be something to try for those in apartment complexes / children / allergies and such that can't use acetone indoors.

Thread Information