Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom dyed discs?

Default ...

I dyed my dx gummie shark that I putt with, it looked pink for a while now its off white. I dyed a few discs, my advice is not to use dark dye unless you want to lose something you like or have come acustumed to.

Years ago Brad Roberts died every disc in his bag the same color Orange. All of his discs looked exactly the same. Would've driven me crazy. He was in my group at OCP Saturday and I saw several of those same discs in his bag. He said years ago he did it so he could find them easier.

Default ...

Orange is my favorite color disc its real easy to see and not as hard on the eyes as yellow... and it reminds my of the days I used orange golf balls.

I got the directions from http://www.discgolfreview.com. But pretty much what other people have said. Rit dye and water or Rit dye and acetone. I'm going to try Rit and ISO alcohol next. The acetone use is a little scary as it can warp your disc if left on there too long. I used contact paper for the captain america sheild but I picked up some sign vinyl from a sign shop for free that I read does a better job. The discs that are posted on odsa.com (disc club out west) are incredible. There is 78+ pages about disc dyeing. I will try to do a few more and see how it goes.

Acetone by the way seems to be the best way to remove a stamp. I tried alcohol, paint thinner and mineral spirits but the acetone seems to work best. Just work fast as the stamp will actually dye the rest of the disc if not cleaned off fast enough.
    Jason Van Over

Default ...

Yes, acetone has been used for a while for taking off stamps I also clean the edges of my discs with it and if you got a new disc that isn't grippy enough put it were your thumb goes and it will become grippier, It takes off the slick finish. thats what I did before star plastic came out it works good on champion discs that feel slick.

Here are the two discs that I have done so far. Had a little incident with some goof off on the smiley face and it smeared some of the black. Both of the designs are from the world of comics. The first is Captain America's shield which is pretty recognizable. The second is from a comic called The Watchmen. It is a smiley face button that a character called the Comedian wears. The red is blood caused from being pushed out of a window of a tall apartment building. Poor Comedian.

The shield, as I said in my earlier post is a Discraft PhotonGlo Stratus. The smiley face is a Star Destroyer.

[img]http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd12/J_VanOver/CapShield-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd12/J_VanOver/WatchmenButton-1.jpg[/img]
    Jason Van Over

Nice! Good job man!
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

I have finished 2 more. One of them I did for Keith Gallusser. He is using it for his avatar. It is the logo of his sponser Team Throw. That is Jeremy's disc golf gear company that he is starting. (Free plug ) The other is a Darth Vader mask obviously. Keith's is a Champion Monster. The Darth Vader is a Elite Z Buzzz. The black to the right of Vaders head is where it was run over by a truck.

[img]http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd12/J_VanOver/vaderdisck.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd12/J_VanOver/P1060590.jpg[/img]
    Jason Van Over

very nice. easy way to make money on ebay right there. keep it up. You should work something out with the LDGC to buy you discs to dye and you can double their price on ebay for a club profit.
    Daviesscountydiscgolfclub.webs.com

The Team Throw Monster is freakin' sweet. I can't wait to see it once Keith gets it.
    Eric Gallusser

Thread Information