View Poll Results: Should We Have a Bag Tag Challenge?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

17 89.47%
  • No!

2 10.53%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should We Do a Bag Tag Challenge!?!

Understandable............
    But it needs to be set in stone that money is only an option. Not Mandatory.
    Also it should be able to be refused by anyone. I'm not much of a betting guy and don't usually like to bet. Now on the other hand a friendly $1 bet is cool with me. Its more of a bragging rights kinda thing than a $1 bet.
    I just don't want to get involved in something and have someone demand I bet $5-10 or even $15 on a round. I wouldn't be down for something like that. I do realize thought that a number of you bet quite regularly so thats cool, realize that not everyone is cool with betting. If it is going to be for Bag Tags that is all it should be.
    Now as far as handicapping goes, I guess that is OK. At least there will be an opportunity for some of the lesser players to gain the higher # tags. But what if person A says he will give person B 5 strokes and person B disagrees? What than? Do you just stand and argue for 2 hours? I honestly cant see that working either.........Seems like there will be a lot of disagreements over how many strokes to give someone. Unless you figure out a way to do it according to ratings.
    Just a few things to think about!!!!

Yea, go ahead and give Jeremy the #1 tag.

That way, I can take it from him. :P
    Eric Gallusser

Dang it Bobby!!!!

It's amazing the resemblance there Eric!
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

Quote Originally Posted by Righty
    Understandable............
    But it needs to be set in stone that money is only an option. Not Mandatory.
    Also it should be able to be refused by anyone. I'm not much of a betting guy and don't usually like to bet. Now on the other hand a friendly $1 bet is cool with me. Its more of a bragging rights kinda thing than a $1 bet.
    I just don't want to get involved in something and have someone demand I bet $5-10 or even $15 on a round. I wouldn't be down for something like that. I do realize thought that a number of you bet quite regularly so thats cool, realize that not everyone is cool with betting. If it is going to be for Bag Tags that is all it should be.
    Now as far as handicapping goes, I guess that is OK. At least there will be an opportunity for some of the lesser players to gain the higher # tags. But what if person A says he will give person B 5 strokes and person B disagrees? What than? Do you just stand and argue for 2 hours? I honestly cant see that working either.........Seems like there will be a lot of disagreements over how many strokes to give someone. Unless you figure out a way to do it according to ratings.
    Just a few things to think about!!!!
    When playing for bag tags the only thing that is mandatory is that the person being challenged MUST except the challenge. In the past we said that the only way that changes is if you’re walking off the course and about to leave and someone demands that you play them. But I guess if you implement a quick CTP or put off or whatever that would be fine. Or the person with the lower number tag could just simply say, “Sorry, I have to go. Here’s my tag.” Or the person initiating the challenge could just say, “Oh…you were leaving? I’ll catch you next time.”

Handicapping is NOT mandatory. If a six year old little girl challenges me to play for my bag tag all I’m expected to do is play her for it. If I give her any strokes it’s out of kindness and wanting to make it more competitive. It’s NOT a rule.

Oh yeah….there was two other instance when we made it that you could decline a challenge. That’s during PDGA Sanctioned events and Doubles. The reason for this is so that you wouldn’t have one more pressure to worry with during your round. During PDGA events it was a free-for-all. You could play any way you liked with your tag. In doubles it’s not really fair if that same six year old little girl wins my number one tag because she got Greenwell for a partner and he didn’t have a bag tag. I ALWAYS put my bag tag up for grabs though. In doubles, PDGA events, league events, whatever. I don't care. If I’m playing, my tag is available. It's just for fun.

It’s just a fun thing to do. It’s NOT that serious. I remember Brain Harris was living in Bowling Green while he had a Louisville Bag Tag (out of towners getting a low numbered tag makes it fun when you can then challenge them while you’re out of town and bring it back home) and he challenged me for #1 during the Fall Open one year. He beat me that round and I surrendered number one to him. He took it from me, took a picture of it with his phone, and then said, “I’m not around here for a while. You just keep it.” There are only a handful of real jerks in this sport. Everyone else is just trying to have fun.

[img]http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/goals.jpg[/img]

I will try to comb the internet and have some rules ready by this Saturday. If the club agree with them great. If not, then we can make the changes right there. I will order 50 tags next week and we can schedule a day where we can have a play off for the numbers. I think we could easily start this in January.

I think that all of the ideas put out so far are valid and hopefully what I come up after "borrowing" other peoples ideas will be agreeable.

I have some work that I get paid for to do right now so I will check back later and see if anyone else has some ideas that I can maybe implement.

It looks like it will cost about $10 per tag which accounts for the printing fees, shipping, etc. I will use 100% of the money after the initial cost to buy the prizes. If there is enough money maybe a Revolution or Gorilla bag could be first prize.
    Jason Van Over

Do you like the CE Eagle and the Innova shirt? I found it on Yahoo pictures. They used to call me Bobby Hill back in middle school. The resemblence was greater back then though.

Jason, the tags will cost US $10 or is that the cost to make them? Just wondering. I am in either way.
    Eric Gallusser

Quote Originally Posted by J_VanOver
    I think we could easily start this in January.
    We could combine it with one of the Ice Bowls.

Next question...when are the Ice Bowls?

I'll be running one ALMOST every Saturday in January. One at Brandenburg, one at Otter, one at Muldraugh/Radcliff, and MAYBE one at Freeman. I'll have a schedule up later.

Jason, you realize that those tags are 3.75$ a piece on gottagogottathrow, and you have to have a minimum order of 50.

yep. That is how I calculated the $10. 3.75/each + .30 or .5 each for shipping (15 or 25 for shipping to get them quickly divided by 50) + any custom work if we needed (I called and spoke to someone this morning and there was some additional cost if we went too far away from what they have). That gets it to almost $5 each. I thought the extra 5 would be good to go for the prizes. I don't plan on keeping any money except for the cost of printing and shipping.

So...The cost would be roughly $5 for me to buy the tags and then I would sell them for $10 to everyone who would like to participate in the challenge for the year. Like I said, the remainder of the $10 cost would go to purchasing prizes. Jeremy may be able to work his magic and get something cool.

Personnaly, I would like to have 2008 on the tag so we could do a new one every year.

It doesn't matter when we do the tourney. Sat with Jeremy or Sun with PBL.
    Jason Van Over

oh ok good work then, I just read your post earlier and it sounds like you meant 3.75$ for all.. I had to check into it just because it sounds like a sweet deal!

Thread Information