Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: more course info on website

Default more course info on website

The LouisvilleDiscGolf website is very flashy, but I think it lacks useful information. If you follow the link for a course, you just get re-directed to the PDGA website, which is vague at best. Who knows more about the local courses than us?!? We could have individual hole descriptions and distances for at least CV and IQ. We could even put up directions of our own. I am no webmaster, but I would be willing to help out with this until I leave for school. Check out this website for ideas. http://www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com/ It is not flashy, but gives a lot of useful information. (click on the Courses link)

-Jason
    -Jason

Let's go throw some plastic.

I agree. I'm currently working on doing something like this:

http://www.playdg.com/courses/?s=KS&c=prairiecenter

It will be a WHILE though. Great advice!
    "...a glass can only spill what it contains..."

Wow, that site is more than I ever expected from a DG website. Very nice! I can get pictures if you want, or write directions for CV and IQ. Let me know if I can help! 8) 8)
    -Jason

You could actually do it if you wished. I was just going to submit the courses to the guys at playdg.com and let them do it. BUT....they have a stern criteria. Here it is:

So you want to submit a course, eh?

We'll forewarn you, it's a lot of footwork, and the proper equipment is needed. Below are the things you'll need to know before undertaking this endeavor. Please read everything before you start the process.

Pictures of all the holes
    We want to make your course look good! Pictures must be taken during the spring or summer and optimally on a sunny or partly cloudy day. No winter pictures, or pictures with a lot of leaves on the ground.
    When taking the pictures, please avoid including any people or cars in the photo, unless doing so is impractical. Wait for any pedestrians to get out of the way, golfers to finish holes, cars to drive by, etc. We want a clean look at the hole.
    One picture must be taken from the very front of the longest tee, as you would normally see the hole, with all, or as many as possible, pin placements in view. If pin placements are too indistinguishable in the picture, mark them with a brightly colored disc so they will be visible in your pictures. If needed, use a supporting device, (we use another tripod) to prop the disc up or elevate it so that it's visible (see this hole).
    Another picture must be taken zoomed in, also with all or as many as possible, pin placements in view. The zoomed in picture should be taken from the exact spot of the zoomed-out picture (the tee), unless all pins are not visible from the tee. In this case, move to the nearest location where all pins are visible. In the case of a single basket, center it in the picture as much as possible.
    Please make sure the basket is centered in the photo, and takes up no more than one ninth of the entire photograph. Hole 5 at Staring Lake park is a good example of the largest a basket should appear in a zoomed in picture. A picture with nothing but a basket in it is not useable, but so is a picture where the basket is barely noticeable. Find a happy medium.
    Additionally, a picture must be taken of the park sign. If there is no park sign, get a picture with some distinguishing landmark of the park or area, preferably showing some of the course in the picture.
    A 2 megapixel or better digital camera with at least a 5x optical zoom should be used. Do not use digital zoom.
    Pictures must be taken at the best possible quality setting, and at a minimum size of 640x480. We also recommend that you keep image sizes from being extremely large to reduce your upload time.
    Using a tripod also helps get everything lined up right. It also prevents blurry pictures. Blurry pictures can't be used. We also won't accept scanned pictures from a traditional film camera.

Distances
    You must provide distances from all tees to all pin placements. If distances are marked on the course, you may use these. If they're not marked, you will need to measure them. The best way to do this (unless you have access to survey equipment) is to use a GPS to plot each tee and pin placement. Earlier in the site development, we were using a measuring wheel. This proved fairly accurate, but is nearly impossible to get accurate readings on holes that go over water, through thick woods, around a fence, or over large elevation changes.

Descriptions
    Please provide a description of each hole in addition to a general course description. Descriptions should be kept under 250 characters in length.

Public Par
    If par is marked on the course, please provide that information. If not, we have a system in place to determine the public par based on distance. Pro par will always be listed as 3.

Course Information
    This is for the index page and the feature icons. A hard copy is available for you to download. It's best to take this with you when you go to the course, unless you're sure you can remember all the info. It also has pin distance blanks on it.
    It's a pdf document, and can be downloaded here.

Rating
    We're also asking you to rate the course. On the last page of the submittal process is instructions on how to do so. Your rating will not be the final rating on the site, but will have a 50% influence on the final rating.

Updates

Since we're not able to visit all of the courses that are submitted, we're asking that you provide updates if there are any major changes on the course submitted.

Recognition
    You will be recognized on the site as being the course submitter.

Quality Assurance

If any of the data listed above is not provided or does not adhere to our standards you may be asked to provide additional information before course production can begin.
    If all said information cannot be provided, the course will not be posted on playdg.com.
    We have the right to use, discard, or alter any documents or images that are submitted to assure continued quality of playdg.com.
    You must be available for consultation on any of the data provided so we can assure accuracy and quality.

BTW, if anyone plans to do this project let me know. That way we are not both trying to submit the same course at the same time.

I'm not sure I will have time to do this before I go back to school. However, I will work on it and see how much I can get together. I will not submit anything unless I have everything together, and I will let you know first. If I do not finish in time, I will give you everything I have done.
    -Jason

any photos you guys have zip and e mail them to me, viedos too ill post them on the L.D.G.C. my space page i need local pictures!! please!
    diskfrolfer@yahoo.com
    and check out our space

http://www.myspace.com/louisvillediscgolfclub

I'll get pictures to you if I can Sparrow. I can take video of someone throwing or something also if you want. Just let me know a time and which course and I should be able to make it.
    -Jason

howabout sunday? i live near cv and we could use some cv photos. morning would be better.

I can't Sunday morning...I am going to have a very busy, and thirsty, Saturday night...
    -Jason

Thread Information