View Poll Results: Does Iroquois need to be redesigned???

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

29 72.50%
  • NO

11 27.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iroquois Redesigned???

Otter was before IQ for sure. I played the first weekend IQ was open, natural tees. Was there when the tees were built. Aceputt tells me that Steady Ed was involved in the design and layout.

I can tell you this, the current course does follow the same general footprint as the original. The holes are radically different than the original design. (Picture 18 hole #2's, some hyser some anhyser, etc.) Any nostalgic feeling towards what Steady Ed originally installed is misplaced.

I would argue that IQ could be redone fairly cheaply, IF and only IF, the Parks lets us do the work. We could pre-pour the new pads and pre-make the new tee sign inserts. Day before we move them, auger the new pin placements. In an hour or two with a bobcat, we could have every basket moved with a sign there. Pour new concrete, let's play!

If the Parks wants to do the work, forget it, IQ is just fine as is.

Ed I agree. If we can do the work - skies the limit.
    If Metro is in charge. Keep it as is and let's work on something new.

Just moving some pins at the Q would help.

Default IQ Changes

It is true that IQ was installed in 1981, I helped in the installation and was Prez of the old Louisville Frisbee disc Club. Otter creek was already there. It was the first true disc golf course I ever played after coming home from the Army in "78. I would like to see a few changes in the course to sweeten the oourse a bit, but it serves a useful purpose in that it is more "user friendly" than some of our newer courses. It is more suited to the younger or newer players which makes it good "seed" course to encourage new players. It allows them to gain the skills needed to take on the longer, more challenging courses avaliable. If any work done by the MSD allows for better drainage, that would help a LOT. Also, any low impact effort done by individuals to improve the looks of the course is always helpful. We are improving relations with the Parks Dept. so let's not do any thing to set that back right now, I believe we will be in a better position to do things on our own shortly.

Just keep in mind that IQ is a beginner friendly course. There should be a few adjustments here and there, I agree. But who hasen't had a blast there. Its a classic layout, just right for anyone who hasn't played it a bazillion times. I think thats whats really on the back of a few of your minds. The fact that the solid local crowd has just beat it down, plain and simple. I don't think it needs to be totally reconstructed, just altered, mainly where the playing conditions are always nasty.

Default IQ

It is a fact that Ed Headrick Designed the original IQ course. He put it in so the City of Louisville could avoid a lawsuit over the Course that was in Long Run Park using tree stumps.

A total redesign probably isnt needed. Using most of the existing tee pads and moving some baskets could still give the Swamp a new feel and focus foot traffic on a different path making it less messy for a while. Id love to see the two holes between 11 and 12 on top of the hill return.

If I had my way and all the resources, Id leave a 9 hole pitch and putt on the bottom for beginners and a 18 holer farther back and go farther up the hill and across the road. There is so much land its not funny. I know thats not likely to happen but I can wish cant I.

Im prolly one of the few that actually played the course in Long Run Park. It was almost a nine holer, seems like there were 7 or so there when I went. All of them were about 75 feet long, obviously desiged by someone with a dog dish. The "holes" were mach1 in design, kinda, but the disc fell into a hollowed out tree stump.

Any effort to move the crowds off the same old paths at IQ would be great. Wish I still had my pics of '91 so I could show you the difference in terrain now.

I love Iroquois Park just the way it is. I live in Murray and play IQ every time I come to Louisville and it's always a blast. Yes it isn't the hardest course around but it's hard enough. I think it's every bit as tough as Kereiakes in Bowling Green and tougher than Eagle Valley in Evansville.

Yes it's not densely wooded but guess what? That's terrific!!! The course here in Murray is densely wooded and many other courses are too. I get tired of playing that kind of course. Variety is good.

Default Re: Iroquois Redesigned???

Yes redesign as follows:

1. Keep one the same
    2. Move tee #2 to the other side of the ditch, and toss to basket #3.
    3. Keep #4 the same
    4. Keep #5the same
    5. Keep #6 the same
    6. Move tee #7 back to the alt loc.
    7. Keep #8 the same
    8. Keep #9 the same
    10. Keep #10 the same
    11. Keep #11 the same
    12. Move teepad to trail and fire up towards the west.
    13. Play Tigerwoods
    14. Play new teepad to 12 basket
    15. Play across the lake and place tee pad out up in new #3 fairway.
    16. Play old # 15 teepad but put the basket deeper for a longer toss.
    17. Play #16 as it is
    18. Play #17 as it is

Drive Long Putt Short and Leave a Good-Looking Scorecard

ed - dro "Over & Out"
    HitchHiking Across The Galaxy

Default Re: Iroquois Redesigned???

last i heard the club is talking to the parks about a redo of iq. but i think if were going to change it we need to redo the whole thing so that it is more friendly to the park it gets alot of erosion the way it goes up and down the hills theres nothing to stop the dirt from washing down the hills. which in turn does not help with the drainage problems that msd is having with the park this problem needs to be fixed in changing things.
    themick

Thread Information